I'm 5'5" and160lb, how much weight can I lose and still have enough for BBL?

I am considering a BBL.. I am 5'5 currently 160. (Had a baby 8 months ago) My usual weight is around 120-125.... Is there a weight I should stop losing at to have enough fat for the procedure? How much is lost during the surgery? I would like to stay around my 120 weight ideally.

Losing Weight before a BBL

+2
I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon now who can evaluate in person to give you the best recommendation. If you are finding that the weight is not coming off as easily as expected, you may benefit from having the brazilian butt lift procedure sooner rather than later. Seek a surgeon who performs at least 6-8 BBLs per week and can show you over one hundred of his/her own before and after pictures. Best of luck. 

Weight loss before BBL

+1
That is a tought question without photos to consider. I would say you should see a surgeon now, make a plan with them and check in every couple of months while you are losing weight to find the sweet spot where you look better but still have enough fat to harvest.

Frederick G. Weniger, MD, FACS
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

How much fat… Prior to a BBL

+1
Don't be afraid of exercising and losing weight. You can have a good result at your normal body weight. The reason why you don't have to worry about losing weight is because fat cells don't replicate. You're born with a certain number of fat cells and you keep the same number of fat cells throughout life. When you gain weight each cell gets bigger and when you lose weight each cell gets smaller but the number of fat cells stays the same. So if you lose weight before the surgery you would have the same result you would've had anyway if you do the surgery at one way and then go back down to your normal weight after surgery because the same number of cells which shrink to the same size they would've been anyway.  You don't get more cells for a BBL by gaining weight

Wendell Perry, MD

Happy medium

+1
You want to have enough fat to make fat grafting possible and still be the size you would like to be.  Fat is living tissue and will be lost if you lose weight (you lose it everywhere including grafted sites).  I recommend patients get to a comfortable weight with still enough fat available for grafting.  Typically we remove fat from the abdomen, back, flanks and thighs with half the volume removed available for grafting in the buttocks after processing.  Depending on what size you want to be determines when to stop losing weight.  Remember you get the benefit of liposuction from the areas you want to reduce while also getting volume added to help shape your buttock where it is deficient.  An experienced board certified plastic surgeon should be able to give you some guidance.

+1
It is best to be at your goal weight before undergoing a BBL procedure. If you lose more weight after the procedure it is possible that the results with change. In order to determine what weight is ideal for you to be at for the procedure I recommend scheduling a consultation with a plastic surgeon. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

BBL

+1

To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedure and technique would be best for you.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before or after a Brazilian butt lift

+1
It is best that you are near your target weight when you undergo the liposuction and fat transfer.  If you loose weight after you may lose some of the volume transferred to the hips and gluteal area. See a plastic surgeon in person for a consultation for the best advice. Best of luck.

Luis H. Macias, MD

Weight loss before BBL

+1
You should obtain your goal weight before considering fat grafting. If you do it before weight loss your subsequent weight loss will alter the results. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

BBL and weight loss

+1
I think that you need to get to your goal weight or close to it before considering a brazilian butt lift. It is difficult to say what the exact end point for you should be without seeing you.

+1
You will require an assessment to allow for a better estimate.  If your surgeon is going to liposuction 5 liters, there may not be a lot to lose before the surgery.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts each year. Look for great reviews and great before and after pictures.