Is Re-opening a Tragus Incision a Bad Idea?

i've been to several consults and most drs have said they'd do either a pre or post tragus incision-that there are positives and negatives about both. I had a pre tragus incision many yrs ago and it looks fine. Would re-opening that incision be a bad idea?

Posttragal vs. pretragal incision for facelift

+1

While most facelift procedures are now performed with post tragal incisions, a pretragal incision is still acceptable.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Re-opening tragus incision

+1

A pre-tragal incision is an outdated way of performing a facelift that was popular 25 years ago. The incision in our practice for the last 20 years has been post-tragal where is it easily hidden and the incision is broken up to minimize detectability. We can place the incision in the post tragal area even if you have had a pre-tragal incision from a previous surgery.

Facelift incisions

+1

An incision that goes right along the tragus tends to hide the scar better but the pre-tragal incision also heals quite nicely in most patients. You could have either one when you decide to redo your procedure but three years seems like a short time to have it done again!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pre vs. Post Tragal incisions

+1

Most of the Facelift that I do are with the post-tragal incisions. This is the preferred incision today because it allows a better concealment of the incision on the side of the face. My patients are extremely happy with this incision and the ones that I convert from pre-tragal to post-tragal are very happy too. There is no contraindication to change from one to the other. 

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pre-tragal vs Post-tragal Facelift Incision.

+1

Your incision can be made in the old scar or  that skin can be lifted and eliminated through a post-tragal incision. I have used the post-tragal  approach for years because  it cannot be seen, but some excellent surgeons do make the incision in front of the tragal cartilage. Accept the advice of the surgeon you trust to do your face.

Retrotragal Incision is Preferrable

+1

In my opinion, better aesthetic  results are obtained with a retrotragal incision than a preauricular incision.  I would almost definitely convert your current incision to a retrotragal approach.  The old scar will be excised along with any redundant skin.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

A pre existing surgical scar can be used for a facelift revision

+1

If your pre tragal scar is aesthetically acceptable from your first facelift, there is no absolute reason not to go through the same incision and leave a scar in the same location when a secondary facelift is done. If on the other hand, the scar you have now could be improved in the opinion of your plastic surgeon, it is fine to convert to a retrotragal incision. It is not an issue of safety, but one of the best cosmetic result. The board certified plastic surgeon who consults with you in person is the best person to help explain the pros and cons of each approach.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Re-opening a tragus incision

+1

I would convert you to a post tragal incision for better appearance. But I can not see through the internet. Oh right you did not post a photo of your incision. Hmmm.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Re-doing a pre-tragus incision vs. post-tragal.

+1

You could do either one since you were happy with the pretragal incision. I just finished a facelift today which had a pre-tragal incision and I converted it to a post tragal which is the way I have done them for 35 years and think my patients like them better.