Pre-liposuction Weight Confusion

I heard that a standard liposuction candidate is one that is within their normal average weight. However, I'm currently at the lower end of my average weight of 120 pounds at 5'45 feet. If I have liposuction now in 4 areas and lose 10 pounds in the process, wouldn't I then become underweight and cause other problems? Would the doctor refuse to perform the surgery because of this until I gain another 10 pounds so that after surgery, I would still be at normal weight?

Liposuction and weight loss

+1

You might still be an ideal candidate if there is a bulge that you can’t reduce at 10 pounds under your average weight. This might be an ideal weight for you! It’s worth the consultation to find out.

If only it were true!

+1

Unfortunately you will only loose a pound or two. Liposuction is for fat contouring, not total fat removal. You need a layer of fat left so the skin does not have depressions or "stuck down" places.

You won't lose 10 pounds from liposuction

+1

At 120 pounds, there is no way you could lose 10 pounds from liposuction.  It is only for contouring and is not for weight loss.  You might lose 1 pound at most.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Healthy stable lifestyle

+1

Each person has their own body type, appearance, weight, and level of fitness. A 5'4" person can be fit at 110 pounds or 180 pounds. The important thing is to attain your maximal level of fitness regarding exercise, activity level, diet, and habits. If your lifestyle is stable, so will your weight be. If you are healthy and stable and your weight happens to be 120 then your surgeon can access what can and should be done to achieve your goals. You should not have to lose or gain more weight. I doubt if you would lose 10 pounds with liposuction at this weight. In fact, I would suggest that this would be very excessive.

I suggest you discuss your weight question with your internist who should then communicate with your plastic surgeon. Liposuction has to do with body contouring, not fitness or weight, although the latter do influence the timing and appropriateness of body-contouring.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD