Pre Lipo Surgery

I am having liposuction (abdomen, thighs) at the end of August 2011. Are there any supplements I should take prior to surgery to make my recovery smoother? Any other suggestions prior to surgery?

Are supplements before liposuction helpful?

+2

There are no supplements that are helpful before liposuction. Nourish your body with healthy food, with lots of fruits and vegetables.

Some supplements and medications to avoid are:

• fish oil or omega-3 fatty acids, such as flax seed oil or meal, and chia seeds or powder
  • aspirin
  • non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds: ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), naproxyn (Aleve) and others
  • Vitamin E
  • herbal supplements: garlic, ginko, ginseng, feverfew, dong quai (stop all of them to be sure)
  • alcoholic beverages 48 hours before and after liposuction

There is no good scientific evidence that arnica is beneficial.

Do continue to take all prescription medicines, unless your surgeon and your prescribing doctor tell you to stop.

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

What should I do before my liposuction?

+2

A healthy and balanced diet is a must before any surgical procedure. I advice against any strict or strenuous weight loss diet prior to liposuction. I recommend starting Arnica Montana three days prior to surgery and Bromelain the same day after your procedure. A good presurgical multivitamin is also adviced. You should stay away from aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and Vitamin E prior to surgery. A good compressive garment will help with the swelling and shape during your recovery.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Any supplements to help recovery from liposuction?

+2

There are no magic pills. You might try Arnica Montana and Bromelein to decrease bruising and inflammation postoperatively. What helps more if you stay away from any supplements which can delay blood clotting and lead to increased postoperative bruising. Your surgeon hopefully provided you with this list. Major offenders are Aspirin, all the nonsteriodal anti-inflammatory agents, fish oil, flax seed, garlic, etc. Another thing I find beneficial, is to leave my 2mm punctures through the skin open to drain and not close them with sutures. This made the biggest impact in reducing post liposuction bruising in my practice.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

No, diet supplements won't affect your results from liposuction

+2

Aspirin causes more bleeding, so you want to avoid it to reduce postoperative bruising.  Also, high doses of vitamins, particularly vitamin E.  If you have a balanced, nutritious diet, that is all you need.  The smoothness will come from the technical skills of your surgeon and how your tissues respond to the liposuction, which depends on many factors including age, genetics, and weight loss.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Arnica tablets prior to liposuction can help reduce swelling and bruising.

+2

Taking arnica tablets starting 1 or 2 days prior to liposuction may help reduce bruising and swelling alittle. Stopping advil, aleve and aspirin 5 days preop is always recommended.  Good Luck,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Vitamins, supplement, and diet before liposuction?

+2

There are no good medical studies I am aware of that support the taking of any particular vitamins or supplements. However there are some things you take that may interfere with blood clotting that you should avoid. Taking capsules of Vitamin E or aspirin or anything related to aspirin are the main supplements to avoid.

A diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables of course can only help. A multi-vitamin has also stood the test of time in being beneficial or at least not causing any harm.

Avoiding wine for 48 hours before or after a procedure is also recommended because of the way it can interfere with blood clotting. I say this because some people drink wine "for their health."

Actually so that there will not be any interference with medications or the procedure, I would suggest the only vitamin/supplement you take for two weeks before your procedure is your daily multivitamin.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Arnica Montana and Excersise

+1

I would take arnica montana to help reduce post-surgery swelling and speed your healing time.  You should also continue to excersise and eat healthy before your surgery.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Supplements to take for Liposuction Before and After

+1

To help thicken the blood we prescribe Mephyton (Vitamin K), one week before surgery so it is best to stay away from medication and supplements that will thin the blood for two weeks prior to surgery. Products such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Aleve, etc...) as well as herbal and vitamin supplements such as Vitamin E and Fish Oil (Omega 3), Flax seed and Garlic.

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Preparing for liposuction

+1

Liposuction results will be most impressive if you are at a stable, ideal body weight before surgery and are having stubborn areas of fat removed that are out of proportion with the rest of your body.  I offer my patients Arnica tablets before and after surgery as it may help decrease bruising.  Avoiding blood thinners at least 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery is important - aspirin, ibuprofen, Aleve, vitamin E, fish oil, lots of alcohol, and many, many herbal supplements can make you bleed and bruise more.  Your physician will likely give you a list of things to avoid before surgery.  And of course, don't smoke!!   Relax, enjoy the process of giving yourself a present, and be patient after surgery.  You will likely have some emotional ups and downs, so expect them and don't worry too much!   Follow your plastic surgeon's instructions and don't try to cut corners or get back to your regular routine too quickly - let your body heal and do what it is supposed to do. 

Michelle Spring, MD