Does a Pre-jowl Chin Implant Also Help Project Forward a Weak Chin? (photo)

I have pre jowls and a weak chin (medium size chin implant suggested at 3 consults with facial plastic surgeons). The pre jowl implant was suggested to me by one surgeon, and I liked the idea, but another Dr. said the pre jowl implant ONLY helps the jowls and it doesn't add projection for a weak chin. I'm confused. I'd like something that does both if possible.

The right kind of implant will help jowls and chin

+2

While a classic prejowl implant will in fact augment only the prejowl sulcus - it has only a thin strip in the anterior portion of chin making it designed specifically to augment only the prejowl sulcus - a pre jowl chin implant will augment both.  Another name for this style of implant is an extended anatomical implant.  My own personal favorite for these situations is the Mittelman prejowl chin implant by Implantech.  It comes in different sizes, and it has portions to augment the prejowl sulci as well as a chin segment to augment the chin.  If you want a more square chin contour, that can be achieved with one of the two Terino chin implants which are extended anatomical implants.  A surgeon familiar with placing these implants can show you samples and help you decide which is best for you.

Prejowl Implant and Chin Projection

+1

A traditional prejowl implants only adds about 2mms of increased horizontal chin projection. You will need to get an extended chin implant that adds sufficient projection but wraps around to the prejowl area. You can also put the two implants together to create a combined chin-prejowl implant.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin Augmentation and Jawline Contouring

+1

Unfortunately the names of the different implants can be confusing. You want an implant that will increase chin projection an augment the pre-jowl depression. Ask your surgeon to show you an implant and explain the goals of your procedure.

There is a chin implant named "Pre Jowl-Chin"; It is a great implant!

+1

Let's fix your confusion!

1. You are a great candidate for a chin implant!  Your chin is average to a little below average in relation to your upper face.  A chin implant will give you great results and make your face look great.
  2. There are many types of chin implants with different shapes and sizes, the key thing for you to do is find a surgeon with great before and after results so you can trust his judgement and technical skills.
  3. Implantech makes an implant called Mittelman Pre Jowl-Chin.  It's call this because unlike very old "chin" implants that only augmented the very front of the chin, the "prejowl" extension helps it augment the mandible all the way the the prejowl area.  This is different from a Pre-Jowl implant which only fills in the area in front of the jowls without chin augmentation.

I personally like the Mittelman Pre Jowl-Chin for men and the Extended Anatomical chin for women but preferences vary surgeon to surgeon.  Look at the before and after gallery when possible, this will help you find a great surgeon!   Good luck!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pre jowl chin implants work great

+1

A pre jowl chin implant augments both the chin and the pre jowl sulcus . These work great as they not only enhance the chin but also soften the jowl. In my practice they are the most common shape of chin implant I use. A pre jowl implant alone without the chin component only augments the pre jowl and is quite ucommon and only used in very rare situations

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pre-jowl implant versus pre-jowl chin implant

+1

A pre- jowl implant only  adds width to  the chin  and not any projection for a  weak chin. A pre-jowl chin implant addresses augmenting the pre-jowl sulcus(width) as well as giving projection for a  week chin profile. The implant is inserted under local anesthesia through a small sub-mental incision. Please see the link  below for examples of  what a chin implant can accomplish

Does a Pre-jowl Chin Implant Also Help Project Forward a Weak Chin?

+1

You need exact clarification to the exact type implant, whether only pre jowl vs combination of pre jowl/chin, or chin alone. 

Prejowl implant

+1

The surgeon was probably suggesting a pre-jowlchin  implant rather than a pre-jowl implant. You want both augmentation of the chin and lessening of the prejowl sulcus.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Depending upon the profile, pre-jowl implants are available that either do or do not add projection to the chin. In your case, adding projection to your chin would add more balance to your profile. It is definitely possible to achieve both goals with a single implant. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prejowl chin implant

+1

Thank you for providing a photograph with your question.  It helps make for a more realistic discussion. 

Prejowl implants have two basic shapes: 1) prejowl augmentation without projection of the chin, 2) prejowl augmentation with projection of the chin.  You would benefit from the latter. 

That being said, I believe you would be better served with one of the extended anatomical chin implants.  You would be helped by a large amount of projection to your chin.  The extended anatomical chin implant offer more projection then the largest prejowl implant. 

A good way to assist the surgeon in choosing the appropriate style of  implant is to view examples the implants.    Ask your surgeon to show you the sizers of the different styles and shapes.  You can get a pretty good idea of the shapes, where they augment and where they don't. 

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon