Pre Chemical Peel Care?

I have a Indian Skin, If I wish to undergo a AHA & PHA Chemical Peel (NOT TCA), to improve the texture and tone of my skin what are the chances of me having a Hyper-Pigmentation or a Burnt Skin after a Chemical Peel. What are the preventive steps that I can take so that I do not get any Post Chemical Peel complications? Taking a Pre Chemical Peel does it anwya gurantees that I will not have any complications leter like a Hyper-Pigmenation or a Burnt Skin.

Chemical Peels for Texture and Tone Enhancement in Indian Skin

+1

Hello Augustya,

Post inflammatory dys-pigmentation usually occurs in colored skin when a medical peel is done without adequate skin priming before and in between peels. If your treating physician is well versed with handling ethnic/ Indian skin chances are that you have been already advised some home care involving a mild Glycolic acid or Retinoid. This is usually started 2 weeks prior to your first session.

Post peel care in the form of adequate skin hydration and a broad spectrum sunscreen applied 3 hourly is also very important. 

If is is the texture and tone of skin that you wish to improve, try and opt for Salicylic, Azelic or Mandelic gel based peels. These work better and carry the least chance of pigmentary disturbance post procedure.

Keep looking beautiful :)

India Dermatologist

Pre Chemical Peel Care

+1

Thank you for your question. With dark ethnic skin, the risks are very high for pigment irregularity, and it is not exempt with an AHA peel. Having Indian skin myself, I did have mild hyperpigmentation with a glycolic acid peel which resolved over several weeks. Based on your skin type, skin color, skin sensitivity, strength of the peel, and contact time,  will determine how your skin responds to the peel. There are some pretreatments steps that can be done to reduce complications. You will need the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in cosmetic procedures and chemical peels who can evaluate your skin, direct your care, and provide low risk alternatives, which will reduce risk and maximize effectiveness. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Chemical peel

+1

your skin type will make you more prone to post peel pigment abnormalities

pre-peel I would suggest avoiding UV sunlight (no tanning), ask your provider about pre-emptive valtrex for possible herpetic outbreak.  Some providers may want you to use retin-a to increase skin turnover "ahead of time" to allow the new skin to re-populate where the "old" was removed.  I suggest a test spot of the peel agent in an inconspicuous spot to see how you skin reacts to it.  Most important thing though is that you will want to have as superficial a peel as possible to mimimize the risk of post peel pigment abnormalities.

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon