Pregnancy After Dysport?

I had dysport (120 units) treatment a month ago I want to start trying to get pragnant. How long should I wait for not taking any risks ? Thanks

Pregnancy & Neuromodulators Not Studies

+1
The question of the safety of neuromodulators and pregnancy has never  been fully answered and you cannot get a definitive answer.  It would be unethical to perform such a study...so it will never be done.  Having said that, there is some data from the manufacturers that shows that patients who received neuromodulators while unknowingly pregnant have gone on to deliver without problems for either the mother or baby.  This data was compiled as a result of concerned expectant mothers reporting it after they became aware that they were pregnant.  This is not a gold standard study, so it cannot be used to make medical recommendations.  It is probably safe, but to be absolutely sure wait 6 months until all of the medication has been fully metabolized.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Dysport & Pregnancy

+1

Hi Keren.  You do not need to wait to begin trying to get pregnant.  Although there are no studies on pregnancy and Dysport, most physicians will tell you that there is little or no risk of the product affecting your baby. 

With that said, no responsible physician would treat you at a time they knew you were pregnant because it is an unnecessary risk.  If you want the product to be completely gone from the body, then 4 months is enough time to wait.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Dysport and Pregnancy

+1

I would not recommend having Dysport if you are considering getting pregnant. I would also discuss with both your gynecologist and your cosmetic surgeon as to how long they prefer you wait after a treatment to get pregnant.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport and pregnancy

+1

Dear kernhib,

• I would wait until after pregnancy before going for your next rejuvenation
  • There have not been any studies in pregnant humans, but I would not take that risk
  • If you decide to breastfeed, then you should wait until you are no longer breastfeeding as well
  • With that said, I hope your wishes are fulfilled

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Dysport and Pregnancy

+1

Thank you for your question. I would recommend getting the advise from your Ob/Gyn. Dysport lasts an average of 3-4 months. After the effects have completely worn off, I would not receive any further injections and this may be an appropriate time to start trying. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Dysport should not be used during pregnancy

+1

When it comes to pregnancy we do not have enough information to answer most questions. To be safe you should wait for about 4 months after your last injection of dysport before you try to conceive. 

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is It Ok To Get Pregnant Shortly After Dysport Treatment?

+1

Neurotoxins such as Dysport (Botox, Xeomin) tend to remain in the areas where injected. They do not typically migrate or spread through the body. While there are no official studies demonstrating that there is no harm getting pregnant shortly after a neurotoxin treatment, it most likely does not cause any harm or risk. That being said, you may want to wait until you feel the effects have worn off (typically 4 to 5 months) just to play it safe and not worry about it. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Pregnancy following Dysport

+1

In general, the Dysport will be localized to the area it was injected and will not migrate throughout the body. In general, it should pose no risk to a pregnancy. However, there is no documented research that proves there is no risk. With that being said, you may want to wait until the effects of Dysport wear off. This is 3 months on average, and may last longer. I would recommend speaking with your physician for any further advice. Thank you and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy and Dysport

+1

I agree with my colleagues. Generally speaking, all of the data we have on any kind pregnancy complication caused by medicinal intervention accumulates over years and is not part of a planned study. In short, we don't do studies on pregnant women. So we often err on the side of caution. Dysport injection is a good example--we don't know if there's an effect, so we suggest not getting it during pregnancy (or becoming pregnant while it is still in effect--3-4 months.) That's to be on the safe side.

Barbara Persons, MD, FACS
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Are Botox or Dysport safe in pregnancy? How long to wait?

+1

Kerenhib,

No one has studied the real safety issues with Dysport or Botox in pregnancy or breastfeeding, so most doctors err on the side of caution and will not treat a woman who is considering pregnancy, pregnant, or breast feeding with these injectable neuromodulators. Though technically they stay attached to the muscle in the local area where they are injected, everyone wants to be safe. Each lasts an average amount of time, but that can vary between people. Dysport can last 3 to 6 months, so to be on the complete safe side, you'd want to wait 6 months, but that may be longer than your circumstances allow. Speak to your own obstetrician and the doctor that did the injections and go by their guidance.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH