How Many Practitioners Perform the Suture Method for Asian Eyelids in the US?

I've heard that a suture method to alter the crease of the eyes is popular in Japan and Korea.

Asian blepharoplasty through a suture technique how many surgeons perform this in US

+1

Asian blepharoplasty through a suture technique how many surgeons perform this in US. It is extremely hard to determine this in the US. I would research doctors and look at their before and afters.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Frequency of suture eyelid surgeons in US

+1

My experience is that suture techniques are extremely popular in Japan, and about 50-50 in Korea. Because the suture technique works better in thin eyelids, the procedure seems well suited for certain ethnic groups within Asia. Other factors involved are: recovery times, costs, surgical experience of the doctor, patient anatomy. 

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Asian Eyelid Suture Method

+1

There are many different ways to perform Asian eyelid surgery, however each has its pro and cons.  What is not important is how many practitioners perform the procedure, but finding the best way to achieve the results you desire from a qualified specialist.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

How many practitioners perform the suture technique for Asian eyelids?

+1

There are many doctors out there performing suture only technique Asian eyelid surgery, including myself.  I use it when it's on the right patient and that is what they desire.  What's important to know is that there are many doctors out there who are not surgeons who perform this procedure for all of their eyelids because they can't do it any other way.  The are not trained in or experienced in actual eyelid surgery.

An experienced surgeon should talk to you about your surgical options and why some are right for you and others are not.  Review the pros and cons.

Suture only technique.  Pros:  looks great, done quickly, heal in 1 to 3 days, can be long lasting (over 7 years) in the right patient.  Con: in some patients it may no last more than 3 to 5 years.

Incision or cut techniques.  Pros: Looks great, better ability to customize your lid, permanent.  Cons:  Slightly higher risks and healing time is 6 to 9 days.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Chase Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian eyelids

+1

The suture technique to address asian eyelids is very common, there is no way to know how many surgeons use this technique.  I personally use it on 50% of my asian eyelids, I usually perfer this technique on younger patients as I find older patients need some skin excision as well.

Robert Schwarcz, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Suture technique is common here and in Asia

+1

I have observed the best plastic surgeons in Tokyo, Seoul, and other Asian cities using suture technique for about 2/3 of their double eyelid operations. I do both suture technique and the open/incisional technique with the CO2 laser. Most surgeons in Asia consider the suture technique to be as reliable as the cutting technique. Both approaches have complications, and the commonest ones are asymmetry or creases that come out early.

Make sure your surgeon does a lot of Asian eyelid operations, and can show you pictures of patients with eyelids like yours that have had a successful operation.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Who knows but it is available.

+1

It is so popular in Asia because it is relatively cheap.  However, it is often not a very lasting procedure.  If you are going to have this procedure, be certain that it is being perform by a surgeon who uses sterile technique.  Please do not be surprised if the results to not last very long.