Hiding Scar Through Hair Transplant?

How long do I have to wait before I can get hair transplant over a recently excised 0.6 cm pox scar in my cheek, in an attempt to cover the scar?

Hiding scar through Hair Transplant

+1

If this is in the area of your sideburn and the wound has healed, six months is an appropriate time to consider a transplant.

Hair Transplant Through Scar

+1

A time frame of about 2-3 months should be enough to let the scar heal well enough to perform a hair transplant.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant can be done in scars as well as beards and moustaches

+1

I would recommend waiting at least 6 weeks after your pox excision.  This will allow the scar to heal and mature to pretty much its full strength.  Also, if any infection would occur, the 2-4 week window is the usual time period for this.  Hair transplants are great for scars, beards, and moustaches.  So, barring any infection and wound healing problems, you should get a good result.  Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Transplanting hair into a scar

+1

The transplanting of hair into a scar can be a quite effective way to help conceal it. I typically recommend waiting a minimum of 6 months before doing the procedure. If the scar is quite small, it is easier to obtain the grafts by the incisionless FUE technique, which avoids a linear donor site incision

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Transplants Over A Scar

+1
If the pox scar was properly excised, it should heal without the need for hair transplants. You are probably early on in the healing process, given a little more time, the scar will fade and you might not need the hair transplant. Remember that it can take up to a full year for scars to remodel, fade and get to the final appearance. Try to be patient.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision vs Hair transplantation on the face

+1

Your best cosmetic results are likely to be with excision and direct closure of the scar which should leave you with a fine line, barely perceptible scar that shold be less noticeable than trying to place grafted hairs into a depressed scar.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Facial Hair Transplants

+1

First I ask what your trying to camouflage? If it is the appearance of the scar it would be best to revise the incision. If there is a depression, use of a filler may be easier. Remember, if you do transplants it will be necessary to grow a beard, or you've wasted your time and money.

Revision is always possible

+1

For hair growth on the cheek, I would suggest one of two options. First, grafting can be done though the take rate in areas of scar can be slightly less than the take rate in a 'virgin' area. At times, it is better to have the scar completely removed and meticulously repaired so that the bare area is no longer present. This is usually a better option for areas where a scar already exists in a hair bearing surface. In either case, I would only wait about a month before pursuing options.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hiding the scar can be done any time

+1

I assume you want hair in the graft. This can be done by excision or grafting. Usually, these areas of this size are excised rather than grafted to produce a better result.