Lumps After Power-assised Liposuction

I had ultra, power assisted Liposuction on April 1, 2009 . I'm 5'3" and have always been very muscular and my weight never goes above 120 lbs. I have always worked out 3 times per week with weighs and aerobics. I am so disappointed in my abs. They are lumpy now. I was told to continue to wear my "spanx girdle" for 23 hours a day and to massage the lumps. I'm also doing 500 ab exercises per day. Is there anything else I can do to make the lumps go away?

Liposuction Results

+1

Dear Wil, you are very dedicated to your fitness and health! i would recommend that you follow the advice of your MD. Surgical results can take 6 months to a year and a half to finalize. Abdominal workouts do not shape the fat on your tummy but help with your overall fitness and core strength.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Hopefully time will help

+1

Lumpiness after lipo is due to several issues but the main ones are fat differences and cannula size. Fat can be different even in the same area. It can be more or less dense depending on your body and genetics.

The other main issue of lumpiness is due to cannula size. The largest cannula I use is 3.7mm but typically I use a 3.0 and a 2.5. These are very small cannulas that take more time to achieve the desired effect. But my results are very good because I take the time and use small cannulas. I have minimal contour irregularity. You may need a revision.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Lymphatic drainage massage may help.

+1

Hi! The stomach is prone to lumps, and massage can help.

If the lumps are filled with fluid (seroma), they can be aspirated with a needle. This is worth trying.

You will see the final result in 4 months. It is possible that you may need a touch up after that, but be optimistic for now.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

What did you get lipo for?

+1

You sound so fit I don't understand what you got lipo for.

However, it'slikely that your lumps will get better in time. Three weeks is early. The swelling takes 6 - 12 months to totally resolve. Be patient. Continue your workouts. You'll be OK.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Too Early To Get Worried About

+1

Lumps after any type of liposuctioning are the rule. I have seen it with all types of liposuction techniques. They will change as time goes on and are helped along the way with judicious massaging. We also perform external ultrasound(Dermawave) on our patients to help the process. I have seen lumps go away even after 6 months.

Lumps that stay are either lumps of scar tissue, dead fat, fat that was not removed or fibrous tisue that was there ahead of time. Just be patient.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

The tools are not as important as the talent

+1

Laser-assisted, power-assisted, ultrasonic-assisted, vacuum or syringe liposuction. There are various methods to remove fat but the talent is in choosing the appropriate patient, the appropriate areas, the appropriate time, using the tools appropriately, and counseling the patient about potential side effects and complications. It is still relatively early in the recovery. Some lumps might improve and some might acutally get worse but hold off judgment and revisions for 3-6 months or until you are stable.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

You are probably over doing it.

+1

Hello

By my count you are 38 days after Liposuction and doing 500 abdominal crunches a day. There is naturally some swelling with any Liposuction procedure and it takes about 2-3 months for all the swelling to disappear. Some of your bumpiness may be residual swelling. That residual swelling will take longer to disappear with your very brisk workouts.

I agree that wearing a support garment is indicated. So is slowing your abdominal workouts. You could consider ancillary treatments like VelaSmooth or other cellulite-type treatments when your doctor feels they are indicated. They can help smooth out any residual lumps. Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon