I Still Have a Pouch Under my Belly Button 6 Weeks After Surgery -I Think Somethings Wrong

I had a mini tuck May 20th and developed a sernoma which was aspirated by the doctor - now 6 weeks later I still have this pouch it doesnt even look like I had a tuck done. Please tell me was something done wrong. I'm so depressed and unhappy with these results and when I saw the doctor he said well I may need some more lipo. This just doesn't seem right.

Seroms after Tummy Tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. Seromas can be painful and cause a cosmetic deformity, as well as sometimes leak. The whole point of drains is to keep a seroma from happening in the first place. If a drainless procedure was performed, and you had a seroma, or you had drains that were pulled and you subsequently had a seroma, then you should be drained, otherwise a capsule builds around the fluid making it permanent. If a capsule builds around the seroma (pseudo bursa or encapsulated seroma) then the only way to remove the seroma is to surgically open the areas and excise the capsule, and close over drains to prevent another seroma from happening. If the seroma is encapsulated and is tight and painful, then it can be confused with just swelling or fat. An ultrasound is useful in distinguishing these and identifying the extent of the seroma. If the seroma is not yet encapsulated, then it is usually loose and has a 'fluid wave' or water bed type feel. Occasionally, a seroma can also become infected, especially if a permanent braided suture was used. This will have a hot, red appearance, and will eventually open up. I have never seen an infection from sterile aspiration of fluid.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Fullness under belly button after a tummy tuck

+1

There are a few reasons why you may have fullness under your belly button area after a mini tummy tuck.  Among these include:

Seroma (recurrent)

Hematoma (doubtful)

Pseudobursa (scar pocket secondary to persisten seroma)

Excess fat

Have your plastic surgeon discuss these with you based on your examination.  The good news is that they can all be corrected relatively easy.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Mini tummy tuck

+1

Direct physical examination in your case is critical. You may be experiencing recurrent fluid accumulation (seroma),  normal postoperative swelling or  a case of under resection of skin etc. Follow-up closely with your surgeon.

Generally,the “mini  tummy tuck” is a very limited operation that I very rarely perform  (very few patients are good candidates for this procedure). Most patients seeking abdominal wall surgery have significant amount of excess skin along with spreading of the rectus muscles (diastasis). These issues are not treated successfully without a full  abdominoplasty.

In my practice, it is more common that we treat patients who have had misguided mini  tummy tuck surgery (with full tummy tuck revision surgery).

Seromas after tummy tucks

+1

If you in fact had a seroma after a tummy tuck that was previously aspirated, it is possible that the seroma has returned. Recurrent seromas often require open drainage. This is something that you should keep in mind.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS