What Are the Potential Complications from over Thinning Nasal Skin?

I have an indentation in the skin on one side of my nose above the tip. Is this a result of my skin being thinned too much or can swelling cause this? I am 16 days post op.

Post-op healing after thinning of nasal skin

+1

Since it has only been just three weeks after rhinoplasty, it is impossible to tell if your skin is too thick or too thin. It will be six months to a year before final determination can be made if the skin was over-thinned.  

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Thinning Nasal Skin

+1

16 days after your rhinoplasty, in the face of normal post-op swelling, it is impossible to critique your result. Nasal shape will evolve with time. If the skin is too thin, a revision can be done.

Early postoperative questions

+1

At only 16 days after a rhinoplasty, there is still a LOT of healing to be done.  Your indentation may be real, but it is likely just an area next to a normally swollen portion of your nose that makes the indented area look worse than it is.  Patience is VERY hard, but in rhinoplasty, it is a necessity.

Results from over-thinning the skin are usually seen in the late postoperative period- I would try not to worry about that, and be patient while the normal postoperative course continues.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Potential Complications of Surgically Thinning of Nasal Skin

+1

Thinning of the nasal tip should be done VERY carefully, if at all. Not only can it result in a permanent depression but it can injure the blood supply to the skin resulting in a full thickness wound / ulcer with potentially exposed cartilage.

In your case, I would watch this area carefully and follow closely with your surgeon. It may be a false alarm which would resolve but you need to be aware of what could happen.

Thin skin after rhinoplasty,

+1

It is way too soon to make any judgement about your nose, It takes 6-12 months for the nose to be in the final shape. Be patient.

Difficult to say

+1

That early from surgery it is too early to tell if that is from swelling, overthinning, or asymmetry. I would consult your surgeon and follow the area closely.