What Are the Potential Complications from over Thinning Nasal Skin?

I have an indentation in the skin on one side of my nose above the tip. Is this a result of my skin being thinned too much or can swelling cause this? I am 16 days post op.

Post-op healing after thinning of nasal skin

Since it has only been just three weeks after rhinoplasty, it is impossible to tell if your skin is too thick or too thin. It will be six months to a year before final determination can be made if the skin was over-thinned.  

Thinning Nasal Skin

16 days after your rhinoplasty, in the face of normal post-op swelling, it is impossible to critique your result. Nasal shape will evolve with time. If the skin is too thin, a revision can be done.

Early postoperative questions

At only 16 days after a rhinoplasty, there is still a LOT of healing to be done.  Your indentation may be real, but it is likely just an area next to a normally swollen portion of your nose that makes the indented area look worse than it is.  Patience is VERY hard, but in rhinoplasty, it is a necessity.

Results from over-thinning the skin are usually seen in the late postoperative period- I would try not to worry about that, and be patient while the normal postoperative course continues.

Potential Complications of Surgically Thinning of Nasal Skin

Thinning of the nasal tip should be done VERY carefully, if at all. Not only can it result in a permanent depression but it can injure the blood supply to the skin resulting in a full thickness wound / ulcer with potentially exposed cartilage.

In your case, I would watch this area carefully and follow closely with your surgeon. It may be a false alarm which would resolve but you need to be aware of what could happen.

Thin skin after rhinoplasty,

It is way too soon to make any judgement about your nose, It takes 6-12 months for the nose to be in the final shape. Be patient.

Difficult to say

That early from surgery it is too early to tell if that is from swelling, overthinning, or asymmetry. I would consult your surgeon and follow the area closely. 

Samson Lee, MD