Should I Postpone Smartlipo?

I have smartlipo with aspiration booked for tomorrow, I am having it on my thighs, bum and tum however I have put on 6lb over Christmas and was wondering if I should postpone it until I a, back to my normal weight?

Not to worry

+2

Of course it depends on your total body weight, however I think a 6lb weight gain is not an issue for the smartlipo procedure.  If you are having second thoughts, I would encourage you to discuss it with your doctor.  Small fluctuations in weight are normal and can especially occur around the holidays with high salt content foods.

Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon

Timing of Liposuction and weight gain or loss

+1

In determining the timing of a liposuction, if the issue of weight gain or loss was more than 10 lbs or more than 10% of one's body weight, then I would suggest getting down closer to your goal weight before having the Smart Lipo.  If it is matter of 6 lbs., I don't think this should affect the timing of your surgery or your outcome.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Small weight gains prior to SmartLipo is not a problem.

+1

I would not be concerned about a 6 pound weight loss.  As long as you go back to your usual healthy diet and exercise routine after surgery, you should be fine.  Follow your post-operative instructions, and enjoy your new body!

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Fluctuations of Less than 10 lbs Will Not Matter In Liposuction

+1

Fluctuations of less than 10 lbs will not matter in liposuction, in general.  These fluctuations may represent very little fat change.

Smartlipo and weight loss

+1

There should not be a concern with postponing your procedure. Smartlipo will remove the fat from your unwanted areas; remember to keep a healthy lifestyle while you are healing. Consult with your surgeon if you have any hesitation.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Small Weight Loss Before Smartlipo?

+1

With a small 6 lb weight gain, there is no benefit to rescheduling your Smartlipo procedure. That weight will be lost through a combination of what is removed by liposuction and the metabolism of the recovery process. There is no advantage to the final result of losing it beforehand.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lose the weight after Smartlipo.

+1
I'd rather have you lose the six pounds after I did the Smartlipo. Smartlipo will improve your shape and a little weight loss after makes the result better.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Postpone SmartLipo?

+1

This is a great question! Actually, I would rather my patients who are considering SmartLipo or traditional Liposuction NOT be dieting before surgery. I would rather my patients be at a stable, comfortable weight rather than dieting. Unfortunately when dieting, we tend to gain the weight back. Being at a stable weight will hopefully deter weight gain after the procedure. With that being said, definitely discuss the issue with your surgeon. 

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Six pounds

+1

I don't think that six pounds is critical. However we have clearly found that gaining weight after the procedure is a big mistake. After a few weeks begin an exercise program and watch what you eat

David A. Bray, Sr., MD