Post-Liposuction Generalized Oedema

i had laser lipolysis done to remove saddlebags on both my outer thighs 10 days ago. estimated 7.5 litres of fat was removed. developed transient hypotension post procedure. now having generalized oedema. my urine protein is negative. is this considered as postliposuction oedema ( due to excessive fat removal)? my surgeon prescribed frusemide for me. i have been using my compression bandage diligently. please help. i need to know how to reduce the oedema. tq.

Too Much Liposuction

+1

Your experience should serve as a warning to other patients considering relatively large volume liposuction surgery. The “transient hypotension” you experienced after surgery signifies that your  health and well-being were put at significant risk  during and after the procedure.

Safety should be the first priority and sometimes multiple procedures  spaced several months apart is the best way to go for certain patients requiring larger volume liposuction surgery.

Generalized Swelling after Large Volume Laser Liposuction

+1

Regarding: "Post-Liposuction Generalized Oedema
i had laser lipolysis done to remove saddlebags on both my outer thighs 10 days ago. estimated 7.5 litres of fat was removed. developed transient hypotension post procedure. now having generalized oedema. my urine protein is negative. is this considered as postliposuction oedema ( due to excessive fat removal)? my surgeon prescribed frusemide for me. i have been using my compression bandage diligently. please help. i need to know how to reduce the oedema
"

Large volume liposuction is associated with several systemic complications including death. Large volume laser liposuction would be associated with more complications because of its mechanism of action. The removal of over 5 liters of fat has been shown to be associated with drops in blood pressure and a shock-like state, as you had experience, that requires resuscitation with IV fluids and monitoring with a bladder (Foley) catheter. In your case, cooking a large amount of the abdominal fat with a laser essentially is associated with an internal thermal injury (IE burn) which causes blood vessels to become leaky and plasma fluid to leak outside the blood vessels resulting in hypotension (which in some may be associated with heart, brain and kidney damage) and prolonged swelling.

Recovery must wait for the blood vessels to recover their function. Giving Lasix (Furosemide) to mobilize fluids and reduce edema rarely works but is effective in dropping your blood pressure and your potassium levels risking shock and cardiac arrythmias if not replaced properly.

A better way is to give the body the intravenous fluids it needs supplemented in a few days by Albumin or other colloids. The swelling would resolve on its own as long as blood pressure, electrolytes and nutrition are maintained.

Respectfully, what you are going through and worse is the reason most American Plastic surgeons shy away from large volume liposuction.

Dr. Peter Aldea

7.5 Litres of fat removed is too much in one session

+1
Large volume liposuction is associated with increased risk of complications and sudden death.  For that reason I will not perform large volumes of liposuction and strongly I recommend against it.  
Now that you have gone through it, you need to wear compression garments and move a lot to help reduce the swelling.
You can expect the swelling to last up to 4 weeks
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

See your surgeon again

+1

You had A LOT of liposuction done at one time. I'm not at all surprised by your edema.  Massage may help increase the resolution of your edema, but I'm betting mostly time and compression will help.  Find someone who is experienced in post-liposuction lymphatic massage--it will help.  MOVE AROUND!  Don't just sit. 

Carmen Kavali, MD

Need to have furter evaluation by your surgeon

+1

The main issue is the amount of liposuction and the recovery. You need to see your surgeon to make sure that your blood chemistry is fine and there is no other issues except normal swelling. I have concern regarding removing 7.5 litters from one area.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and edema after liposuction and laser lipolysis

+1

Seven liters of fat is a large amount of fat to remove and edema is not unusual for 3 weeks. Compression garments and light activity to promote the muscle pump action and lymphatic circulation may be useful in diminishing the edema. Some surgeons are advocated of manual lymphatic drainage to promote evacuation of the subcutaneous third space fluid. Discuss this with your surgeon.