Is a Mini Tummy Tuck the Right Choice?

sorry about the last question and my photos not coming through. I am 32 years old with 3 kids. I weigh 115lbs and I am scheduled for a mini tummy tuck March 3rd and it is approaching fast! Dr. Garth Meldrum in Eugene, OR is my PS and is a board cert. PS with great before/after photos. do you think he is making the right choice for me? I worry after reading some of the reviews on the mini. I worry about the belly button with the mini.

Mini Tummy Tuck

+2

The BB can be an issue with a mini.  Talk with your Dr. again, and since he is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon he can offer you what you need to fit your concerns

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck or full

+2

Mini tummy tuck does have very satisfactory results if matched to the specific problems an individual might have. The focus for many is how much laxity extends above the belly button, and whether the scar around the belly button is the greater sacrifice. Fewer individuals are candidates for a mini tummy tuck, though your abdomen appears to be suited to one. Make sure the transverse incision will be as low as underpant line.

peterejohnsonmd

Mini tummy tuck

+2

A mini tummy tuck does not address any laxity above the umbilicus or the weak muscle in the upper abdomen.

Mini tummy tuck?

+2

You are correct that most patients are not good candidates for mini-tummy tucks. However, based on your pictures, this may be a good choice for you. If your are this unsure about it, you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Mini tummy tuck goals.

+1

Thank you for the photos.  The mini tummy tuck is a good option for those with skin laxity below the belly button.  For skin laxity above the belly button, separated rectus muscles or belly button issues, the full tummy tuck is usually recommended.  Glad you are going to a board certified plastic surgeon.  Make sure everyone is in agreement as to the reasonable goals of the surgery.   

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Mini tummy tucks seldom are indicated.

+1

A mini-abdominoplasty is almost never indicated.  It will adress problems only between the navel and the pubic area the are seldom isolated problems.  Almost always the entire abdomen needs to be addressed.  Make sure the solution fits the problem.

Rarely...

+1

Mini tummy tuck is rarely a good answer. It usually under corrects any but the smallest of problems.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question then pictures.

You should be very proud of what you look like after 3 pregnancies.

I personally would not recommend the mini tummy tuck surgery. In my opinion,  the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

I would rather you do no surgery then be disappointed with the results.