How Can I Fix Widened, Flared Nostrils Caused From Jaw Reconstruction?

Last year I had an upper jaw reconstruction, due to my teeth being nearly one inch apart. Maxio-facio MD said nose would be tipped up some. Forgot to mention the nostrils would flare. Now you can look inside my nose when looking straight ahead of me. Can I get my nostrils reduced, thinned at the bottom?

Thinning of the nostrils

+1

Thanks for the picture.  Yes, your nostrils can be reduced to give a more balanced nasal structure.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Nostril flare surgery

+1

Facial analyis for optimal aesthetic results sets the distance between the outer edges of the nose equal to the distance between the outer and inner corners of an eye. You nasal measurements exceed that. However, the photo you submitted is not the best for assessing this distance because it is pixelated and the smiling can distort the measurements which have to be taken when the face is in relaxed repose.

If the measurement discrepancies hold when you are not smiling the solution is removal of a sliver of skin from the lower outer corner of each nostril.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Widened nose can be improved.

+1

Its very tough to suggests options without examining you, but a widened nose and flared nostrils can certainly be improved upon.

This would involve something called a Weir excision whereby the part of the nostril closest to your cheek (alar-facial crease) is excised.  This results in a scar that is well camouflaged and narrower nostrils.  Although this is a very common procedure with typically great results, some of the risks include asymmetry between the two sides, an unsatisfactory aesthetic outcome, unsatisfactory or prominent scars, slightly decreased nasal breathing, and the need for revision surgery. 

If you're considering having this done, I'd suggest arranging a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon in your area to have your goals and questions addressed.  

Michael G. Brandt, MD (retired)
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon