Post Tummy Tuck Weight Loss, Will Weight Shifts in Specific Areas of my Body?

I am scheduled for my TT and lipo of thighs this week (3/30) and I am currently about 10 lbs from my ideal weight. I plan to lose the remaining 10lbs afterwards, though I am curious to find out if your body will lose weight in the same manner it would pre-TT. I tend to gain weight in my thighs and mid section first, then I'll start to gain weight in my arms and face. However, since the amount of fat in my thighs and mid section will be much less then before will the weight loss be different?

Post abdominoplasty weight loss

+2

Mesh reinforcement at the time of abdominoplasty has been shown to be an effective technique to produce weight loss and maintain the reduced weight.  Weight loss after liposuction will result in less fat loss at the suction sites.  If you do lose weight, the weight loss distribution will be different then prior to abdominoplasty or liposuction.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Post tummy tuck weight loss

+2

Initially after surgery, you may retain a lot of fluid and because your exercise may be limited you actually may notice a weight gain. As for dieting when you are allowed to, the weight may come off a bit differently than before surgery.

Weight loss after tummy tuck

+2
Most patients will lose weight after an abdominoplasty, especially if the plication is done tightly. In my practice that's about a 10-15lb weight loss average. Because of the tightness of the inside stitches, you will likely feel early satiety for a few months after surgery. During this period eating habits are hopefully changed. You can expect to lose in a similar way as compared to before surgery. Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS