Post Tummy Tuck Swelling - How Long Should It Last?

It has been over 6 months after my tummy tuck and I am still very swollen, especially around my belly button area. Sticks way out when this happens. I asked my plastic surgeon if I could have a hernia, and she said no it is swelling. I haven't read that anyone has swelling like this after so many months. Can someone please help? Thanks.

Swelling around belly button 6 months after tummy tuck may be fat, hernia, or lax muscles

+4

Your doctor needs to examine you and give a good explanation-otherwise a second opinion may be necessary.

If in fact you have a significant protrusion around your belly button there are many possible causes.

A hernia is a possibility but I would have expected that a hernia would have been discovered during your ecxam prior to the tummy tuck surgery.

Localized fat deposits are a possibility.

Most common in my experience is failure (suture break) of or incomplete muscle repair if in fact a muscle repair was done during your abdominoplasty.

Your doctor can address these concerns with you.

Proper surgical contouring of the abdominal wall

+4

While it's not unusual to still experience some swelling six months after an adominoplasty, chronic or long-term focal swelling or exaggerated protuberance of the umbilicus should introduce questions to your surgeon as to possible causes.

Patients can expect that while much of the swelling associated with either liposuction or tummy tuck procedures usually resolves within three to six months, total resolution and softening of the surgical scar can often require up to one year.

During the abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) procedure, your surgeon usually performs a plication (abdominal wall tightening), and trimming of the excess fat around the umbilical stalk. If the plication sutures become loose, if the rectus facias around the umbilicus is not plicated, or the stalk is not adequately trimmed, then you can expect a postoperative bulge around the umbilicus.

My suggestion is continued periodic evaluation by your surgeon for several more months. If, at that point, your swelling is solely confined to the belly button area, I think it's reasonable to have a discussion regarding possible surgical management.

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD

Post-abdominoplasty swelling

+3

As stated there are many possible causes for the abdominal fullnes of the umbilical region. However, following tummy tuck the most likely explanation is relaxation of the diastasis repair sutures. Massage may help in resolution of the swelling. Diagnostic imaging may be useful. A second opinion is always a reasonable option.

Swelling at 6 months after a tummy tuck should be significantly reduced

+2

Thank you for the question.  The majority of the swelling following a tummy tuck should be gone at 6 months.  Fullness at 6 months should be considered either excess fat, pseudobursa, or lax abdominal wall.  An examination should help determine which of these are the likely source of your abdominal fullness.  A CT scan, although not necessary,  may also shed additinal light on the subject.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Swelling after tummy tuck

+2

Chronic swelling after a tummy tuck can be a lot of different things. It could be untreated local fat deposits, it could still be residual swelling, it could be a seroma, it could be excess skin. You would have to be examined.

Chronic swelling after Tummy Tuck

+2

Hi,

It is still early, but you should not be seeing localized swelling around any one particular area. Without a picture or exam, it's impossible to say the cause, however, a hernia is not out of the question, nor is seroma, fatty deposition, or inadequate plication. Or it could be completely normal, and resolve over time. You need to ask your surgeon to clarify the other possiblities other than normal post-operative swelling.

Nirav Savalia, MD

Patient dependent

+1
I have had patients that for no obvious reason have had swelling for 18 months.  The vast majority of patients have resolution of their swelling by 6 months.   If yiou are doing something that makes the swelling worse, you are hurting yourself.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Following Tummy Tuck Surgery: What to Expect

+1

The wound healing process following abdominoplasty lasts for over a year.  Most of the swelling resolves in six to eight weeks, but small amounts of swelling may persist for up to a year.  The procedure inevitably interrupts the abdominal lymphatic drainage, and this takes time to re-establish itself. 

Patients can minimize swelling with compression garments, massage and limitations on activity level.  It’s important to remember that swelling is a normal part of wound healing and should resolve with time. 

When localized areas of swelling are present a careful evaluation should be undertaken.  This type of swelling might indicate the presence of a more significant problem such as a hernia.  For this reason, its important to have close follow-up with your surgeon until this situation has resolved.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 6 months after tummy tuck

+1

I usually find that the amount of swelling is proportional to the amount of loose skin and loose muscle.  The majority of swelling with a tummy tuck resolves by 6 weeks.   I tell patients to expect continued narrowing of the waistline as swelling resolves completely for up to 12 months.   Tight Compression garments during the first 6 weeks and during period of heavy activity over the first 3 months are very important in allowing your abdomen to re-network lymphatics, which help permanently reduce the swelling.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Swelling after Tummy Tuck

+1

The swelling depends if you combined Tummy Tuck Plus Liposuction, when we do it takes more time about 3 or 4 months.

Some patients takes more time form 4 to 5 month.

The use of compression garment and  physical therapy may help reduce the time of swelling.

Adolfo Sesto, MD