Tummy Tuck Recovery Care?

What should I be doing as part of post-Tummy Tuck care (like showering, compression garment use, washing the binder, changing wound dressing, etc.)?

Post Tummy Tuck Care

Great Question Filly -

As the other surgeons have commented, what's most important is that you and your surgeon are communicating. There are many different post-operative regimens that we all use to maximize our patients' results.

In my practice, we follow some basic guidelines:

• Take medications as prescribed (antibiotics, pain medication and a muscle relaxer).
  • Keep track of drain output.
  • I have my patients leave the dressing intact until the first post-op visit, usually a few days after surgery.
  • Avoid heavy lifting.
  • No driving or operating machinery while using the pain medication.
  • But most importantly, if they have questions, issues or problems - call me!

I'd recommend you follow that last suggestion to get exactly what your surgeon would like you to do as follow-up.

I hope this helps!

Do what your surgeon directs for post-op care

We all treat these things differently:

(1) Some of us see you alot after surgery.

(2) Some of us do larger cases.

(3) Some of us use pain pumps.

(4) We all vary technically.

The bottom line is that you need your surgeon's preferred "game plan" after this operation to guide you through the post-operative period.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Everyone MD is different

This is something that is very MD specific. You should really talk with your doctor. I ahve patients wear an abdominal binder for 3-6 weeks. If they have drains, then they can not shower. They can only sponge bathe until they are removed. I usually do not let patients run or exercise for 4-6 weeks. Situps and weight lifting should be avoided for at least 6 or more weeks.

Have your doctor participate in your care

Plastic surgery is an elective medical specialty where patients are not sick and physicians should do everything in their power to keep them that way. In my practice, we have many layers of education for each treatment and surgery. Finally, the buck stops with me.
In other words, call your doctor and have him/her help with your care.
Robert Freund, MD, FACS

Robert M. Freund, MD

What did your surgeon advise?

Every surgeon has their own set of guidelines for post-surgery care, and they should have given you specific advice on this. You shouldn't have to "wing it" after surgery or find care instructions online! Whatever the instructions are, do follow them, don't take advice from well-meaning friends or other sources if it conflicts with what your doctor told you.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck recovery care?

Hello! Thank you for your question! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Given your desires, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. Also, abdominal wall tightening may optimize your result. Stretch marks to the level of your umbilicus will also be excised. I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.

I typically recommend a 6 week period of no strenuous activity/vigorous exercise along with an abdominal binder for the same time period. It usually takes 6-12 weeks for full healing and swelling to subside before results final. Discuss after care with your surgeon as it varies among surgeons. Typically, you can shower a couple days after your procedure. Likely, you will not need any further dressing besides the binder and then drain are, if used.  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Time to heal is important, expect some restrictions.

Abdominoplasty removes excess abdominal skin while simultaneously tightening the abdominal muscles. Patients can anticipate limited physical activity for ten to fourteen days following surgery. I typically tell my patients bathroom and kitchen privileges initially with slow resumption of normal activity over the next two weeks. Patients can usually return to work in two weeks if no strenuous activity or heavy lifting is involved. After six weeks, they can resume all their normal activities including heavy lifting.
Patients typically wear an abdominal binder for three weeks following surgery. This minimizes swelling and increases comfort. Drains are placed at the time of surgery and are usually removed within two weeks of surgery. When the drains are removed, patients are able to shower again.
Pain management is extremely important when the abdominal muscles are tightened. Most patients are initially given narcotic pain relievers and switched to Tylenol five to seven days following surgery.
Patients with small children should have assistance with child care for at least one week and patients should not drive while taking narcotics.
For many patients, abdominoplasty is a life changing experience. After unsuccessful dieting and exercise programs, this procedure results in dramatic changes in self-esteem, self-confidence and self-image.

Tummy Tuck Recovery Care

Immediately after surgery, patients are placed in compression garments that must be worn for six weeks to help support and shape the healing tissues. If drains are placed, they are generally removed in the office in seven to ten days when they are putting out less than 30 ml per day. Recovery times following a tummy tuck vary, but patients are generally able to return to work in one to two weeks, light exercise in three to four weeks, and full exercise in five to six weeks. Antibiotics and pain medicines are prescribed following the surgery.

Jaime Perez, MD

Post-op tummy tuck care

Every plastic surgeon has post-op instructions per procedure. It is important to consult with your doctor regarding your particular care since every patient is unique and may require specific instructions. However, for tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgery, depending on the severity and complexity of the case, patients are unable to shower for atleast 2 weeks or until the drains are removed to avoid infection. The abdominal binder is to be worn for 4-6 weeks to minimize swelling and support the incision from any tension, you may wash the binder as needed.

The most important part of recovery, is staying hunched over for 4 weeks to avoid superficial openings. I would recommend renting a walker or a cane to remind you to stay hunched to prevent any complications. Learn more about the procedure on my website and check out before and after photos of patients. Good luck!