Are Compression Garments Necessary After a TT with Lipo?

Are compression garments necessary after a tummy tuck and lipo? Do they cause ripples on your side? I'm 3 weeks postop from a TT with lipo to my flanks and back and want to know what is the best compression garment to wear during the day. Also does a spanx and a post op compression garment work the same? Not the binder with the velcro, but an actual compression garment like Leonisa or Marena.

Compression Garments After Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

+3

Both abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and liposuction procedures disrupt tissue through the trauma of surgery. The body responds to trauma by swelling. Tight compression should not be used because it can prevent blood return from tissue, worsening swelling, increasing pain, and increasing tissue trauma. Gentle compression will help reduce swelling, stabilize shape, and reduce discomfort. It may help to reduce fluid accumulation known as seroma. I generally encourage my patients to use a compression garment for 4-6 weeks. I encourage gentle massage to the area, as well.

I also have patients avoid icepacks and heating pads. Because the tissue is fragile after surgery, and sensation is reduced, the risk of e heat or cold burn is much higher.

Compression garment after tummy tuck and lipo

+2

I do no t use a formal liposuction garment after a tummy tuck. I most commonly use an abdominal binder that is not too snug.  I am always concerned about the blood supply to the abdominal flap. If too tight it could be damaging.

Compression Garment after Tummy Tuck and/or Liposuction

+1

I generally recommend that a compression garment be worn for one month after surgery to help in the recovery process.  Each surgeon differs with their view regarding compression garments so I suggest that you speak with your surgeon and follow his/her advice.

Compression Garments ARE necessary after a tummy tuck and/or liposuction

+1

In my practice the recovery period is as essential as the surgery itself. I prefer to use compression garments following liposuctions and tummy tucks. I feel these garments can support the skin and decrease the amount of swelling post-operative. However there are many opinions on this and you should definitely discuss this with your surgeon.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments after abdominoplasty and liposuction

+1
Compression garments have their place in the post surgical period. Each surgeon has their protocol for what type and how long to wear such garment. You should check with your surgeon for their preference. After all, you placed your confidence in them to do your surgery.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon