Post Silicone Breast Augmentation: Are my Implants Being Rejected?

Post silicone breast augmentation, my sleep pattern has been shot due to being told to sleep on my back {which is like asking the elephant man to do, I can not breath correctly! Extreme sense of paranoia is setting in, food smells funny now, it's like living in a totally different reality, and everything seems surrealistic! Could my body be rejecting the implants, or are there studies of silicone leakage that maybe does this to people?

Multiple symptoms following breast enlargement surgery not caused by a "rejection" of the silicone implants

+1

You stated that you are experiencing a multitude of symptoms following your breast augmentation surgery but did not state how far postoperatively that you are. Are you still on pain medication? Other medicines?

All the symptoms that you are enumerating are not related to the implant whatsoever. They could be related in part to pain or other medications and even residuals from the anesthesia. You should contact your plastic surgeon and discuss your symptoms with him/her.

You are not rejecting the implants

+1

Silicone is used in food products and there have not been any allergic reaction to the silicone(check the food label for spices). You may having difficulty with the medication and need to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Silicone impants are nonreactive

+1

In my opinion, he symptoms you describe are unrelated to silicone. Your description of the problem suggests that your inability to sleep properly has given you a negative view of the implants themselves. Get yourself comfortable even if you have to lie on your side to do it, and learn to love your new implants!

Hugh McLean, MD
Mississauga Plastic Surgeon

Silicone breast augmentation San Diego

+1

Ask your surgeon if you still need to sleep on your back.  You may need alprazolam or another anxiolytic medication to help you through this difficult period.  Your body is NOT rejecting the silicone implants, they are quite biocompatible.  RELAX, and follow up with your surgeon if these issues persist.

Steve Laverson, MD

Are Silicone implants causing a reaction?

+1

Breast implants of all types, especially silicone implants, have been studied extensively and there has never been any evidence to suggest that silicone is harmful to the body or can cause any type of significant rejection or reaction.  In fact, you absorb more silicone into your body everyday from ordinary items that you use including hair straightners, relaxers, gasX, makeup, and foods to name a few.  So rest easy, literally, its not your implants causing your symptoms.  You need to relax and take a deep breath.  Everything is alright, and for goodness sake, if its been longer than 10 days since your surgery, then sleep any way you feel comfortable.  Hope that helps- Erez Sternberg, MD.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Silicone breast implant rejection

+1

Silicone gel breast implants have been extensively studied and there are no instances of allergic reaction or rejection. Perhaps medication is the fault, so discuss the feelings and sleeplessness with your surgeon.

peterejohnsonmd

Safety of silicone implants

+1

It has been proven again and again, all over the world, that silicone implants do not cause any systemic illness. Neither are they 'rejected' by the body the way a donor kidney might be rejected. You clearly are quite worried about this - but should not be. After the first few weeks, I do not think it matters much what position you sleep in.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

+1

Rejection is not an issue with silicone implants. Sometimes anesthesia and medications can temporarily cause the things you are describing. Check in with your surgeon.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Breast implants rejection

+1

the issue of systemic disease from silicone gel implants has been put to rest long ago. Multiple studies were done after the media circus of the early 90's there was never any association of silicone implants with systemic disease. See your surgeon do discuss your concerns

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant rejection?

+1

There is no such thing as implant rejection or an allergic response to your implants.  You may be having these symptoms just from chronic lack of sleep. Discuss this with your surgeon, or even your regular physician.  Perhaps a sleep aid will get you out of this pattern.

Robert M. Grenley, MD