Nose Tip Seems More Bulky After Rhinoplasty

I had a somewhat round nose tip and was advised I had a thick skin as well. I went ahead with the surgery to sharpen the tip and internal cartilage was removed. The doctor also said that he reduced the thickness of the skin. Its been more than 16 months post surgery and I see a more bulky nose tip! while at 6 months post op, my nose was clearly smaller. What can I do now to achieve the nose I had 6 months post op ? Please help.

Bulky Tip after Rhinoplasty

+2

Your bulky tip may be secondary to thick skin, too much tip cartilage, or inadequate tip support. The fact that it looked better at 6 months suggests that lack of support is the most likely explanation. You need to consult with a surgeon who does a lot of revision worl.

Rhinoplasty Results with Thick Skin

+1

After 16 months, the "swelling" component of your swelling is fully resolved.  However, if you still have a bulky tip and thick skin, it is very possible that scar tissue has been produced adding to the lack of definition you currently describe.  Thick skin will likely never get as thin as you would like, but if it is worse then scar tissue may be the culprit.  Injection of a steroid could be beneficial, but the longer the scar is in place, the less responsive it is.  See a specialist to get a better idea after a full exam is performed.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Bulky nose after rhinoplasty.

+1

Without examining the nose we can not tell if the problem is thick skin or too much cartilage. See an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon for an exam

Thick nasal skin may be a limiting factor for achieving tip narrowing after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I'm not sure why your nasal tip appeared narrower 6 mos. following Rhinoplasty, as compared to now. Thick, oily skin can limit the amount of narrowing you'll see following surgery. Feel free to email a frontal and profile photo, and I'll be happy to share my thoughts with you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose More Bulky 16 Months After Reduction Rhinoplasty in Thick Skinned Patient

+1

Hi OP,

With thick skinned nasal tips, it is usually necessary to used augmentative cartilage grafts to give definition and shape to the tip.  At this point, you may consider revision surgery.  If there is scar tissue it can be trimmed.  Appropriate cartilage grafts should be used as well.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty Result

+1

You need to be evaluated but it is possible that you have build up of scar tissue in the tip area.  This can happen with very thick skin which is harder to redrape over the cartilages, so then scar tissue can build up to fill the space.

I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon to exam you.

Farbod Esmailian, MD