Is Light Sniffling and Nose Breathing OK 1 Day Post Op?

Hello, I am one day post op and was wondering if light sniffling and breathing out of my nose is ok to do? I am breathing out of my mouth as much as I can, but when dozing off to get some rest I noticed that I was breathing out of my nose. Also as soon as I got out of surgery I really didn't know what was going on so I took a deep sniffle, that ws the last time I sniffled deep. I just want to make sure I'm not doing or have done anything that could reallly affect my healing and outcome. Thank u.

Breathing Through Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1
It is okay to breathe through your nose if it doesn't hurt or isn't uncomfortable, and you don't force it, as this could compromise your recovery. 

+1
Based on your description, it is unlikely that you created any problems. Yes, it is OK to breath through your nose after rhinoplasty, but avoid blowing your nose and I believe that if you need to sneeze, do so with your mouth open to avoid the pressure going through your nose.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Breathing through your nose after rhinoplsty

+1

It should be fine to breathe through your nose as long as you do it gently.  Do not exert yourself or try to force air through your  noes it is congested/stuffy (as it typically tends to be immediately after surgery). Although I tell my patients that is alright to gently sniff in, I would certainly not try to blow your nose within the first 2-3 weeks after surgery. Of course, I would be sure to ask you surgeon if you have any specific questions regarding your post-operative care.

Good Luck!

Dr. Y

Haresh Yalamanchili, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Breathing after Rhinoplasty

+1

As long as you breathe normally without exertion you will not affect your result. Do not blow your nose or do anything to clear your airway for 2-3 weeks; follow your surgeon's instructions. It sounds like your surgeon did an excellent job if you can breathe through your nose the day after the operation.

Nasal breathing after rhinoplasty

+1

It is fine to breathe through your nose after a rhinoplasty. On the other hand, I will have patients avoid nose blowing for about three weeks.

Breathing through nose post rhinoplasty is fine

+1
Breathing through your nose is a natural response and when you fall asleep or resting with pain medications you will go back to this normal function. This will not hurt your result and you will be fine sniffling and breathing through your nose. If you need to sneeze try and remember to open your mouth and not sneeze completely through the nose. Sleep elevated and do not stress and you should be healing fine in no time. Wishing you a speedy recovery and best regards! Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD