Post Rhinoplasty Questions - What Can I Do?

i had a combo septoplasty / open rhinoplasty 5 weeks ago. hump was worked on, but is still obvious. hump feels bone hard. -any chance it will diminish? -is this only possible at the expense of a wider pyramid & therefore nasal cross-section? -nostrils were also reduced & are now visibly of different size. is there any remedy? thank you

Post-rhinoplasty hump still visible at 5 weeks--what to do?

+2

As others have stated, you need to wait at least 6-12 months for any consideration of surgical revision. There are indeed changes that occur for that period of time, and the healing process and scar maturation must be allowed to occur before re-operation. Your own surgeon has vested interest in giving you the best result possible in keeping with your wishes, and in keeping with appropriate expectations. Another surgeon can always be selected after much research, but secondary surgery is not a "quick touch-up" but rather even more complex and with more potential for variable outcome. And it is always more expensive if done by someone who did not do your first surgery. Consider carefully who you ask to perform your next surgery, and understand that cost should not necessarily be your deciding factor!

That being said, your dorsal profile does indeed look as if further hump reduction is necessary. To achieve a smooth nasal line (side profile) both bone and cartilage must be removed, and unless nasal bone osteotomy and infracture is done, an "open-roof" deformity may result, making narrowing of the upper and middle third of your nose necessary, but thereby NOT causing a flat or widened nasal pyramid. Perhaps your surgeon was hoping to avoid osteotomy by reducing the hump only a bit, or perhaps you were hoping to reduce cost and asked only for "tip rhinoplasty" with only a little "hump worked on" in the process. Sorry to say, you may have gotten exactly what you paid for, and now you are potentially stuck with another surgery and healing period!

As others have stated, first discuss this with your surgeon; if another opinion is desired, seek out senior, experienced, board-certified plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons. While you are waiting for your own surgical results to settle allows you ample time to discuss things with your own surgeon, and obtain additional advice elsewhere as needed or desired. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/nose-surgery.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty question

+2

It takes many many months for all the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty, so bumps, lumps and asymmetries that are there several weeks after surgery may disappear after several months, so waiting and having regular follow ups with your surgeon may be best at this time.

Dr Siegel

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not Satisfied with Rhinoplasty

+1

It is impossibe to determine the final result 5 weeks after rhinoplasty. Wait  at least 6-9 months. However, I do share your concerns. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Hump 5 weeks out

+1

At 5 weeks it's still early to see your final results.  However, if you have any concerns, I would make sure you communicate these with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  I'm sure he/she would be happy to answer any of your questions.  If you are still unhappy with the appearance at about a year after your surgery, you may need revision rhinoplasty, but I'd give your nose some time to heal. 

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Web reference: http://www.makeyouperfect.com

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Be patient!. It will take about 12 months for all of your swelling resolves after rhinoplasty. If you have concerns, these should be addressed by your surgeon. It is unlikely that your surgeon or any other would be willing to discuss a revision with you until the healing is complete. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy 5 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

If you are unhappy at 5 weeks, you should discuss this with your doctor,b ut if you need revision you will have to wait about a year for things to soften up.

Concerns about rhinoplasty at 5 weeks

+1

Keep in close contact with your surgeon who is best equipped to discuss the intraoperative procedure and expected results. Revision may be necessary and perfect symmetry may not be reasonable.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

Post Rhinoplasty Dorsal Hump and Uneven Nostrils

+1

Hi Purc,

Discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  If your nasal hump and nostrils still bother you 12 months after your surgery, then consider revision rhinoplasty.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Rhinoplasty Time Frame

+1

The outline that I give my patients is that after 3 weeks, about 80% of the nasal swelling is gone and you will have a  general idea of what the nose will look like.  All of the swelling is not gone until 6 months.  That said, it does appear that you have had an inadequate hump reduction although the photos are not ideal.  At this point, there is nothing that should be done.  Let your nose heal and at 6 months reevaluate.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.