Post-rhinoplasty Nasal Bridge Bump? (photo)

I underwent a closed rhinoplasty on 8/8/2012. I'm fully satisfied with the sculpting of my new nose. Nasal hump removal and tip raised slightly. The one issue being a small post-op bump on my bridge that can be felt and seen. Some minor redness also. At no point have I pressed on the bump having only gently felt it. Being more prominent to my right side. Slight asymmetry. Is it likely to be just swelling that will fully resolve or could it be something more lasting that will require an eventual revision?

Small contour issues immediately after rhinoplasty are common.

+2

It's too early to make a pronouncement about the bump on the dorsum of your nose. Give it time.  This is at the junction of the upper and middle aesthetic units where there can be normal contour irregularites in this transition zone.  If it remains longterm, some filler can obscure it or a revision might be needed.

Swelling Post Rhinoplasty is common

+2

It is to soon to determine your actual result and your swelling will take some time to dissipate. See your surgeon for frequent post operative visits to provide some peace of mind during this recovery phase. He/she will know best where you are in the recovery process. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Too early to worry after Rhinoplasty

+2

It takes weeks for the swelling after a rhinoplasty to resolve therefore it is too early for you to worry about the final results of your procedure.  In some patients the changes can occur up to a year.  Small bumbs and asymmetries are common and expected in the first several months.  Continue to follow through with the care of your surgeon and try not to get too worried about these abnormalities as they will likely resolve themselves.  If it persists after several months, it could be scar tissue or remaining cartilage/bone.  Options include injection with steroid or minor revision rhinoplasty but observation/patience is the best in the beginning.  

Neena Will, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling Causing a Bump After Rhinoplasty

+1
Swelling at the bridge of the nose, where a bump was removed, is common after rhinoplasty.  The bigger the bump the more swelling possible.  This takes time to resolve, up to one whole year. Usually it comes down much sooner then that. Discuss this with your surgeon. Massage or nasal taping is possible and may help bring the swelling down sooner.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post surgery

+1

3 weeks post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - be patient and follow up with your surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD

Irregularity along bridge after rhinoplasty

+1

At this early stage there can be some uneven fullness to the bridge. An examination of the area to see if the bump appears to be bone or compressible swollen soft tissue would help determine the cause of the appearance. Ijn some cases a small amount of dilute steroid can be placed in the area to help calm down inflammation.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Edema after rhinoplasty

+1

Having uneven swelling along the dorsum after hump removal is not uncommon, and especially this early after rhinoplasty.  Give it time.  If the swelling is slow to resolve, injections of kenalog or 5-fluorouracil can help expedite things.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD