Post Rhinoplasty Knock?

I suffered a mild - moderate hit on the right side of my nose 2 weeks after my rhino-septoplasty. I had mid-nasal straightening involving cuts to either side of my nose for narrowing and am concerned the impact caused some misalignment. My surgeon said he doesn't feel any fractures. He says with the swelling he can't be sure for another 2 - 3 weeks. How significant of an impact would I have to sustain for it to be any real issue, and would a steroid injection really help?

Post Rhinoplasty Traumatic Injury to the Nose

+2

Sorry to hear about your situation. You describe having what sounds like osteotomies where the nasal bones are broken and repositioned. If this is the case, I would be concerned about any of my patients who suffer a mild to moderate trauma to the nose 2 weeks out from surgery. Your surgeon is correct in that there is swelling that might be concealing any inadvertent shifts in the bone. I have seen cases where even just a mild bump of the nose can result in unwanted movement of the bone. A steroid injection at this point would not be warranted - and, in fact, might be risky. Make sure you maintain close follow-up with your rhinoplasty surgeon. Happy healing.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumping your nose right after rhinoplasty

+1

After rhinoplasty the nose is weakened by the surgery. The nasal cast and internal nasal stents (if any) provide some support for the first week. But after they are removed, your nose is on its own. After 2 weeks, perhaps there is 10-15% of normal strenght. This slowly increases but doesn't reach a sufficient degree to predictable resist a nasal injury for several months. This is why you can't move or bump your nose for several weeks after surgery. That said, it's very rare for an injury after surgery to clearly be responsible for creating a deformity.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon