Hard Scar Tissue in Tip After Rhinoplasty

Post rhinoplasty I have hard scar tissue on the tip of my nose. 3 Kenalog injections didn't work. Would 5-FU injections help?

Hard scar tissue after rhinoplasty

+1

There are several different concentrations of cortisone preparations that can be injected into the scar tissue in the nose. It is not advisable to use 5-FU, as it is not FDA approved to be 5-FU injected into the nose.  

Rhinoplasty healing

+1

The tip area is usually hard during the healing phase until at least one year after surgery. If it has been longer, then it could be cartilage in the area. Caution with too much cortisone in nose-may cause indentations.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scar Tissue in Tip

+1

You don't mention when you had the surgery, but assuming it has been at least 9-12 months ask your surgeon about alternative approaches including a possible  revision. Consider a second opinion.

Hard scar on nasal tip

+1

Diffiuclt to say without a better history.  How old is the scar?  I would avoid too many kenalog injections into the nasal tip.  It may cause significant atrophy.

Tip hardness.

+1

No it would help. You need to see a revision rhinoplasty surgeon who is experienced to get the best result.

More info needed

+1

You obviously had a rhinoplasty. how long ago, open or closed, cartilage grafts or not, septal work, and how soon after the surgery did the injections start?  I can't say I have ever used 5-FU injections on the nasal tip so I have no experience in that.  I would be interested if any other plastic surgeons have used this for nasal scar tissue.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Be careful with steroid

+1

It might help, but after 3 injections with steroid, you need to be very careful.  These are powerful medications and can do more harm than good when used in excess. I would stick with your same surgeon and give it a while before making another intervention (at least a year). The nose takes a long time to heal and for scars to soften after rhinoplasty. You need to be patient.  Chances are, it will soften up some given more time.

Elan B. Singer, MD