Post-rhinoplasty with No Change in Appearance, When Will I See A Change?

I had rhinoplasty surgery last week to make my nose smaller. I had My Dr told me to shower to take the splint off and and I was so disappointed to see that it does not look like anything was done. I still have the bump and it looks exactly the same as before. My Dr said that he would not expect to see any results for a few weeks. Is this correct?

Rhinoplasty at one week

+2

At one week all bets are off. The nose is very swollen and it will take several months to see the resutls. Sometimes up to a year.

+1

At one week your nose is still significantly swollen after a Rhinoplasty.  If you're concerned about what was down and how your nose looks you should discuss this with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  The nose typically has swelling for months after a Rhinoplasty, so you have some time to wait for the final result.

Rhinoplasty Recovery Takes Time

+1

It is way too early to expect to see the benefits of rhinoplasty in just a week after surgery. In removing the splint after surgery, it is not a 'TV moment' as one often thinks. The result will not be immediatelly apparent and the nose may actually look worse than before surgery due to distortions from swelling. Patience is a true virtue after rhinoplasty and it is going to be weeks and even months until you see the benefits of having had rhinoplasty surgery

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

1 week post-op is too soon to worry

+1

It is almost impossible to evaluate the results of rhinoplasty surgery at one week.  Swelling is certainly present and distorts the appearance. 

All patients tend to look critically at their results for weeks or months, and this is especially true for those who have had facial procedures such as rhinoplasty.

Give it time and do your best not to look in the mirror for a while;-)

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon