May I Have Post Rhinoplastic Infection?

Hi. I am 3 weeks post rhinoplasty with insertion of an L shaped silicone implant. Since yesterday my upper teeth gum and lymph node on my neck, both on the right side are very swollen. I've never experienced anything like this before the surgery. I called my doctor and he said it had nothing to do with the surgery and that I should visit a dentist. I disagree with the dentist suggestion because my teeth are in PERFECT condition. Do you think it could be signs of an infection? Thank you :)

Your dental and lymph node swelling may be from infection.

+1

In general, infected nasal implants present with nasal swelling, redness and pain, and swollen lymph nodes are not typical, but possible. Depending on your condition, you may be a candidate for antibiotic therapy. It may be best to start a course of antibiotics ( Amox/ clav or clindycin) immediately, and make a visit to your surgeon and dentist. You'll likely feel better relatively quickly after starting antibiotics, and your doctors can help determine the cause of your presumed infection.

All the best.

Dr. Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post silicone implant

+1

3 weeks post surgery with a silicone implant is certainly a time when an infection could manifest.  You should be seen by your surgeon ASAP

Sam Naficy, MD

What to do if you suspect an infection after rhinoplasty with silastic implant?

+1

Your post definitely sounds concerning. This swelling could be totally unrelated or could be a sign of infection in your nose. Having just had an implant placed in your nose raises the risk of infection. I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon ASAP and if they will not see you seek a second opinion. Often, infections can be salvaged with antibiotics but if an implant becomes obviously infected, it might need to be removed.

Seek help immediately and hopefully this is all just prolonged swelling and an upper respiratory infection. However, somebody needs to look at and inside your nose to know for sure.

Good luck!

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty infection

+1

If you are concerned about a possible infection and you think it is from your nose which is quite possible, you should get another opinion.

Infection after Rhinoplasty with Silicone Implant

+1

It is possible that you do have an infection which can occur after placement of a silicone implant. If your surgeon will not see you, get a second opinion from another physician. It is not normal to have increased swelling 3 weeks after a rhinoplasty.