After Laser - Brown Spot Removal. Still Pink 11 Weeks Later.

11 weeks ago I went to a clinic to remove brown spots on my body some on my back, left waist and above my stomach, they first used a fractional laser then 4 weeks later (7 weeks ago) they used a pulsed dye laser (green light) to get the remains of the brown spots. Now 11 weeks later I still got pink (few a bit red in) skin where the laser hit. How long may this last? Is it possible for it to remain permanent (pink)? what can i do? It's driving me mad, I need an outsider pro's timeline thanks!

Not sure why fractional laser and pdl were used on brown spots and what those brown spots are

+2

The distribution of the red spots I see on your photo makes me think these were nevi (or moles) and not just brown spots.

It's not really recommended to treat moles with lasers.  First of all, you don't know what you are treating:  is the mole a normal mole or not?  No way to send it to the pathologist to examine if it was treated by a laser.  Also, neither fractional laser nor pdl remove the entire mole, so there is a chance of a recurrence.  When moles recur after a procedure, they tend to look strange both clinically and under the microscope, and there is no way to know if it is the result of the laser treatment.

Also, pulse dye laser primarily treats vascular lesions.

I suggest that you get an evaluation from a board certified dermatologist.  If you have any before photos, bring them to the appointment.  It may be helpful just to have a record of what was.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Redness after laser treatments will always fade if there is no complication to therapy.

+2

Redness after laser treatments will always fade if there is no complication to therapy. In some cases the redness will turn brown and that may be more difficult to treat.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Laser redness

+2

Removing brown spots may require different lasers. I usually use an IPL and the area can turn red and stay red for several weeks and may turn white afterwards.

Treatment of body brown spots with laser

+1

I am concerned that your spots may be moles rather than mere skin pigmentation.  Moles can start dark and flat and over many  years become elevated and then lose their pigmentation.  Most moles are benign, but rarely, some turn cancerous.  I rather have my patients leave their moles alone, but if there are some they wish to remove, then they are removed surgically so that a pathologist ensures that it is benign. Otherwise, if one of the spots is atypical, not cancerous but not benign and has the potential to change to cancerous in the future, then the laser treatment might mask the coloration of the mole and make it harder to see the needed changes.  some moles, when partially treated, develop a very irregular brown mark that makes it look even more noticable.  time alone may help the redness disappear, but you should see a dermatologist if there are changes in any of the marks over time.

Ronald Shelton, MD