Mini Tummy Tuck Vs Full Tummy Tuck?

Should I have a mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)? What are the differences on recovery time and surgery success? I've had 3 kids (4, 3, and 1) and I'm only 23. No allergy to any meds; No surgeries

Mini vs. Full vs. Modified Tummy Tucks

+6

You have several options availabe for improvement of your abdomen. The most appropriate choice will depend on what your desires are and how loose your skin is, which is best determined by a full consultation with examination.

I see that you have some loose skin awith strecth marks that go all the way to your belly button. There is loss of definition in your waist. You belly button looks good with little flattening and overhanging skin. You are 23; any more children in the future? Is that a c-section scar?

When counseling patients such as yourself the first question I ask is: "are you happy with your belly button"? If you are then a mini-tt is a good option since it will help tighten your lower abdomed with a shorter, lower scar. I almost always tighten the lower muscles to provide additional flattening. Adding liposcultpure to the sides can help define your waist. The recovery is less than a full Tummy Tuck. This technique is however limited. This procedure will not remove all of your stretch marks. It will not correct your upper abdomen or belly button.

If you have a significant muscle separation and bulging of the upper abdomen and you want to correct this, then a modified full Tummy Tuck might be an option. The scar will be longer and higher, and you will have a scar around your bully button that may not make it look much better than what you have now. I would offer this to you only after a few consultations where we would discuss the limitations in great detail.

My experience shows that the right patients are satisfied with their mini-Tummy Tuck. I select my patients carefully since the majority of my patients need a full Tummy Tuck. I usually don't offer a mini-tt to a patient who reuqires a full Tummy Tuck because I know they will be dissatisifed with the limited correction.

Make no mistake, correcting your abdomen is challenging. You are not the typical tummy tuck patient. I would urge you to find a board certified plastic surgeon who has alot of experience with patients similar to yourself. Ask how many mini-Tummy Tuck, full- Tummy Tuck, and modified Tummy Tuck they perform. What are there results like. Are the patients happy? Look at their before and after pictures. Ask a lot of questions.

Hope this helps.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Mini Abdominoplasty vs. Full Abdominoplasty

+5

First of all, you want to be completely clear on what the differences are between these procedures.  With a full abdominoplasty, there will be a scar that extends across the lower abdomen, typically extending from hip to hip.  There is also a scar around the belly button.  With the mini abdominoplasty, the lower abdominal scar is shorter, and there is no scar at the belly button.  Liposuction is often used with either of the procedures.  Less scarring always sounds like a good idea, but lesser procedures produce lesser results, and you may not get the outcome that you are looking for.  The mini tuck does not tighten the upper abdomen at all.  From your photo, your upper abdomen does not appear too loose, although a full exam is really needed to evaluate this.  Photos can be deceiving!  You also may have muscle separation that extends to the upper abdomen, and this could be repaired more readily with a full tummy tuck.  Again, an examination of your abdomen by an experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeon followed by a thorough discussion about your options should allow you to make a choice that will realize your goals.

Robert Wilke, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to say without an exam...

+4

Hi there-

While your photo is helpful, in order to give you the best advice, I would also want to know how stretchy and loose your tissues are on exam- this is determined by feeling the tissues and so is not possible online...

Here are a few points to consider...

Mini-tummy tuck is an operation I no longer offer, as the rate of dissatisfaction was unacceptably high for me- I want all of my patients to be as happy as possible, and the problem with this procedure is that, because the muscles are only tightened below the belly button, too often a small bulge would develop above the belly button, where the muscles had not been tightened... leading to dissatisfaction.

I think that for patients who don't need a full tummy tuck because they don't have that degree of excess skin present, another excellent option is a MODIFIED abdominoplasty, sometimes also called a "marriage" abdominoplasty because of the way it combines ("marries") the best of an abdominoplasty and liposuction.

I would find a surgeon Board Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and review your goals with him/her. After an exam, they'll be able to educate you about your options and make you comfortable and confident you are choosing the technique most likely to make you happy in the long term.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Looks like you would be a good candidate for a mini-tummy tuck because you don't have a lot of loose skin.

+2

With a mini-tummy tuck, the incision can be placed very low so that it is completely covered by your bikini.  It is difficult to do repair of the abdominal muscles with a mini-tummy tuck but I'm not sure you would need it until your examination.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your question and photos! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Looking at your photos, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. Also, abdominal wall tightening may optimize your result. Stretch marks to the level of your umbilicus will also be excised.  I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.

Once you are ready for the procedure, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck with abdominal wall tightening along with some liposuction to the hips/flanks for additional contouring. This would remove the excess skin/soft tissue and stretch marks while contouring your belly. You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. The mini tummy tuck has limited usefulness and limited candidates as it truly only addresses excess skin in a small area above your pubis.  While the recovery time is shorter, the benefits afforded to you by a full tummy tuck are much greater and will optimize your result.  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Full

+1
A mini tummy tuck will not adequately address the fullness, skin excess, or stretch marks of the central portion of your abdomen.  A full tummy tuck will do all of this plus fix the muscle weakness and revise the belly button.

Gary Lawton, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck Vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1
Based on the photograph, you may a variety of options. Consult in person with 3 board certified plastic surgeon and choose the surgeon/surgical plan that best meets your objectives/needs.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Mini vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Without a formal exam it is impossible to say with 100% certainty, but it looks like you would benefit from a full abdominoplasty.  You have some obvious skin excess and  stretch marks up to the belly button.  A full abdominoplasty will remove all of the excess skin in the lower abdomen, bring the belly button out through the advanced upper abdominal skin, and tighten the muscles to help flatten the abdomen and narrow the waist.  

A mini-tummy tuck typically does not involve manipulation of the belly button.  As a result the amount of skin to be excised is limited.  This does shorten the scar, however.  A mini-tummy tuck can allow for tightening of the  lower abdomen, but this can result in a bulge in the upper abdomen.  This operation can be successful in the appropriate patient, but it has been my experience that most women who have had several children will benefit from a full abdominoplasty.  

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

​Mini Vs Full Tummy Tuck depends on the patient's needs

+1

For the right patient it's the right procedure. Some patients will need more and some less, this is based on examination of the laxity if the skin and muscles . If there is excess skin above the belly button that is an indication of a full Tummy Tuck. A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will suggest which of the two would be best for you.

Z. Paul Lorenc, MD

Full Tummy Tuck will Tighten Stomach Muscles

+1

Based on your photos you might be served best with a Tummy Tuck. This procedure will not only address the loose skin and stretch marks, but it would also tighten the stomach muscles. However, only a full examination can determine if the Mini Tummy Tuck or Full Tummy Tuck is right for you.

The video below gives you some instructions for a self examination of your stomach muscles. If the muscles are separated, you definitely would need a Tummy Tuck.

Ricardo L Rodriguez MD

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD