Hate My Post Pregnancy Belly

It has been nearly 9 months since i gave birth. i hate my belly and really wish it'd go back down. do plastic surgeons have rules of thumb on when it's appropriate to say a belly is permanent after pregnancy and suitable for a procedure like tummy tuck + lipo?

When to have a tummy tuck

+2

Stretched abdominal muscles and skin never goes back to original after a pregnancy.  Here is my recommendation: 1. Complete your family.

2. Six months after your last child have a tummy tuck and claim back your pre-pregnancy body.  

That is my rule of thumb recommendation to all my patients.

Post pregancy belly blues

+2

Pregnancy does change the body permanently. However, there is hope! A tummy tuck is often the best procedure to restore a more attractive shape. Typically, this can be done once your body has reached a post pregnancy plateau. You will also do better if you are on a reasonable diet and are fairly active. Make sure your surgeon is board certified and has done many tummy tucks. Experience matters.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Tummy be gone: Post pregnancy tummy contouring

+2

There is no exact time frame when it would be best to proceed with a tummy tuck + lipo procedure.    However, you ideally want to be done with having kids before considering definitive abdominal contouring.  

A tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result

Patients choose abdominoplasty cosmetic surgery for a number of reasons, including:

Excess abdominal skin following weight loss; Weight gain (beer belly or spare tire) from a sedentary lifestyle; Abdominal fat that is resistant to diet and exercise; Stretched stomach muscles from pregnancy; Desire for a thinner profile; Desire to look younger and fitter; Desire to fit into clothes better.

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Should wait 6 months after preganncy to do a Tummy Tuck

+2

Tummy Tuck can tighten the muscles, Remove the excess skin, get rid of stretch marks and reduce the waistline.

For best result, in our practice we wait for six months after pregnancy before operating on a patient.

Also, for best result, you should be close to your ideal weight.

Hope this is helpful.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Permanent belly changes after pregnancy

+1
Pregnancy does permanently stretch the muscles and skin - luckily, these changes are reversible with a tummy tuck. If you are finished having children this would be a great option for you. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of ASAPS. Best wishes.

Grant Stevens, MD

Hate My Post Pregnancy Belly

+1
I prefer to wait about one year after the delivery of the child or children and I will recommend waiting longer if the woman is still breast feeding.  Once cleared, it is generally safe to proceed with a tummy tuck and liposuction at the same time.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Surgery

+1

If you are at the weight you are comfortable at, then 9 months is plenty of time since your last pregnancy and you can proceed with your surgery. Any residual that you have from the spreading of the abdominal muscles will need surgical correction.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

The Timing of Surgery Following Pregnancy is Very Important: Read More Here

+1

Significant changes occur in a women’s body following pregnancy. Many of these changes are irreversible and require surgical intervention to correct. After pregnancy, women note changes in their breasts, abdomen, and fat accumulations in their hips and thighs.
The abdomen seems to be an area of particular concern for most women. After pregnancy, women will typically diet and exercise to improve this problem area. Despite their best efforts, they are often left with loose, saggy abdominal skin. This often adversely impacts their self-confidence and the quality of day-to-day life. For these reasons, many patients eventually seek abdominoplasty.
The timing of the surgery following pregnancy is very important and several issues need to be considered before proceeding with surgery. It takes time for your new post-pregnancy body to return to its new baseline following pregnancy. During this period, stretched skin may contract, a swollen uterus may shrink, and you may lose some of the extra weight gained during pregnancy. These changes need to occur before abdominoplasty is performed.
In addition, we recommend that patients be done having children, be in good health otherwise, have adequate child care, be done breast-feeding, and be within ten percent of their ideal body weight. If all these criteria are met, you should be an excellent candidate for surgery. Consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon will help you make this determination.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Surgery post pregnancy

+1

The biggest question is whether you are finished having children.  If you have concluded that you are then you can find a Board Certified plastic surgeon who will discuss your options with you.  A lot of surgeons will do it around the 3 month point, depending on your body weight: If you gained a lot of weight during your pregnancy then you will want to get back to a healthy body weight first. Talk to your surgeon about your expectations to see if this is the right procedure for you.

Joseph Serota, MD
Aurora Plastic Surgeon