Post-pregnancy with Lower Abdominal Saggy Skin, Mini TT of FTT?

I'm 30 yrs, 162cm and 56kg. I've had 2 pregnancies and I'm not planning on having any more. After my 2nd pregnancy I was left with loose skin, stretch marks and a little more fat on my lower abdomen. I also have some loose skin above my belly button which I'm not too worried about. I would definately prefer a smaller scar of a mini TT but wonder if it would get rid of my excess skin. Would you recommend a mini TT or FTT?

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for you question.    When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:

1.  The amount of loose skin

2.  The volume of fatty tissue

3.  The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:

1.  Upper Abdomen

2.  Area around the Belly Button

3.  Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck.  In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button.   I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK:  this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen.   This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision.   I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.

EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK:  This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area.   I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY:  this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.

I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

The reason you are getting some many conflicting recommendations is because you are likely a good candidate for both.  To make the best decision you need to be evaluated both laying down and sitting.  It looks to me like you would do really well with a mini tummy tuck and lower muscle tightening. This procedure is performed under complete anesthesia and allows the surgeon to both tighten the skin and the muscles of the abdomen like an internal corset. In order to have the best results, it is recommended to wait at least 6 months after delivering your last child or until you have reached your dieting and weight loss  goals.

To make the best and safest decision, schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who will sit with you and discuss a detailed plan for achieving optimal results. We have both a male and female surgeon at our practice and offer free consultations. Come to your consultation armed with questions and do your homework prior to seeing your surgeon. Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Would be dissappointed with a mini TT

+1

There is no question that you would be very dissatisfied with the limited results that you would achieve with a mini-lift.  This type of abdominoplasty  has a very limited application.  You need a standard abdominoplasty with anterior abdominal wall fascial repair.

Mini tummy tuck vs. full tummy tuck after pregnancy...

+1

The mini tummy tuck is an excellent option for people who have a small amount of lower abdominal skin to be removed. Unlike traditional tummy tuck, the surgeon does not have to repostition the naval during mini tummy tuck, and the incision is not as big. However, after pregnancy, the abdominal muscles often become weak and full tummy tuck would be needed to tighten and flatten your abdomen completely. To determine which procedure is best in your situation, you need to first see a board certified plastic surgeon for a complete examination.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Full or Mini tummy tuck

+1

Based on the photos you provided, you are a good candidate for a full (standard) tummy tuck vs a mini tummy tuck. I think you will have a better result with a full tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck involves repair of any separation of the rectus muscles and removal of the majority of loose and excess skin to provide a tightened abdomen area. A mini tummy tuck only involves work done to the muscles and skin below the belly button area. This does not achieve the best results for most patients after 2 pregnancies. Ultimately, of course, it is best to discuss your overall goals with your surgeon to decide what your best and safest option is.

Mini versus full tummy tuck

+1

From your photos, it appears that you have a moderate amount of excess abdominal tissue.  Since you have been pregnant twice, you do have a diastasis or separation of the rectus muscles.  You would probably be best served by a modified tummy tuck.  The scar for a modified tummy tuck is the same length as for a mini tummy tuck, but your abdominal muscles are tightened, and your belly button is repositioned without any scar.  This procedure would maximize the improvement in your abdominal contour but minimize the scar.  

B. Aviva Preminger, MD

Limited vs full abdominoplasties

+1

There are fairly limited indications for mini-abdominoplasties in my opinion; mostly minimal excess skin, and muscle laxity; having said that; from your pictures, you look like you may be a good candidate for the mini procedure.  Best to see a board-certified plastic surgeon and discuss the options and let him examine your abdomen to see if the more limited procedure would work for you

Jerry Lugger, MD

You will have agood result with tummy tuck

+1

You have minimal excess skin above the belly button and your BB is little high. I would do mini tuck with floating the BB to a lower position. I would also do little lipo to enhance the result. Please check my web site for examples.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full TT

+1

The primary difference between a full tummy tuck and a mini tummy tuck revolves around what is done with the belly button.  A full tummy tuck cores out the belly button from the abdominal skin and brings it out through the abdominal skin after all of the abdominal skin and soft tissue is pulled down.  A mini tummy tuck does not do this.  In a mini tummy tuck, the belly button is either left alone or the stalk at the base is disconnected and "floated" down with the abdominal soft tissue when this is pulled down.  Whether you are a better candidate for a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck depends on what your goal is.  A mini tummy tuck will not rejuvenate your belly button and it will not remove all of the stretch marks that are near your belly button.  A full tummy tuck will do all of this but the incision will be longer.  If the incision is kept low within the underwear line this will not be an issue.  There is a good chance that the belly button location cannot be included in the full tummy tuck resection amount and will therefore have to be close as a small vertical incision.  When patients such as yourself present where their body straddles the benefit of two different procedures a decision will have to be made about which procedure gives you what you want.  In my experience I would recommend a full tummy tuck, keeping the incision very low, and closing the belly button hole as a small vertical incision.  This vertical incision will be low as well and if closed properly will look like a laparascopic incision that is used for gall bladder surgery, etc.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Remus Repta

Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ

Remus Repta, MD

Full vs mini- tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for including your pictures, which are quite helpful.  I really think that you will be best served with a mini- tuck.  When this is performed, along with the muscle repair, you will predictably have some hooding of skin along the top of your umbilicus.  This should be corrected at the same time.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD