Post-Op Otoplasty, Should I Use Vaseline on the Wound to Avoid Scarring?

Hello there, 7 days ago I had otoplasty surgery - both "pinning" and lobal reduction. Of course a small scab (line) has formed on the bottom arch of the newly-formed lobe. I get these stitches out tomorrow and was wondering if I should be keeping the area clean with Hydrogen Peroxide/moist with vaseline to reduce scarring? I received no indications of the sort from my surgeon (and she will not be taking the stitches out as I am out of town). The line is slightly visible from the front.

+1

Generally I recommend using antibiotic ointment for a couple of weeks as this helps the healing process. I think vaseline would be ok but you should check with your PS. 

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty aftercare?

+1

Specific aftercare instructions should be provided by your plastic surgeon. Personally, I do not ask patients to use any solution/lotion on the suture line.  The  suture lines tend to heal very nicely;  sometimes manipulation can do more harm than good.

Again, please check with your plastic surgeon for specific  instructions.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_ear.htm

Otoplasty wound healing

+1
Peroxide will dry the skin and counteract the effects of Vaseline, which is a good moisturizer and effective in reducing the scarring.

Avoiding scars after Otoplasty...

+1

Normally scarring is minimal with otoplasty because the incisions are located behind the ear.  As it sounds like you had extra work along the earlobe, then a combination of diluted Hydrogen Peroxide to cleanse the crusts and Bacitracin ointment to keep the incision line moist is our usual regimen.  In the long term after initial healing, Vitamin E massage can help to soften any scarring.  Be sure to call your surgeon to find out what their protocol is for post operative situation.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Otoplasty Care

+1

I would try to contact your surgeons staff who may be able to provide you with the typical recommendations your surgeon has for managing  post operative surgical sites.  There are a number of options ( from nothing to Peroxide and Ointments, to covering the wound)  for treating post operative wounds and this is dependent on the surgeon and their preference and experience of what they think works best.  In general wound healing occurs faster/better when there is no crusting on the incisions.   Cleansing of the incision followed by use of  topical ointments can  resolve the crusting much faster than no treatment.  

Saint Paul Facial Plastic Surgeon