Post Opp Swelling in Upper Lip After Scar Tissue Removed, What Can I Do?

I had some remaining amount of lymphatic malformation and older scar tisse removed from inside my upper lip. It's been just over 2 months post opp and the numbness and feeling has gotten better, but there is still some residual swelling/inflamation mainly when I move my mouth and eat. Pretty uncomfortable as it happens everytime I eat and drink and takes time to settle back down. Could this be nerve damage? What can I do to treat this? Thank you.

Lip swelling and bumps after surgery

+1

The area is dynamic with muscle movement and swelling will last longer. If it bothers you, I would perform IIT to soothe the swelling. 

Upper lip swelling after scar tissue removal

+1

Swelling and effects on movement are extremely common after the scar tissue removal surgery. It can take a year or more for the swelling to maximally subside. For more specific answers to your particular situation, you should contact your surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Post Op Swelling Two Months Later

+1

There could be some residual scar tissue in there that is getting inflammed when you are moving your mouth a lot, like when you eat. Pressure, irritation, etc. can cause the area to re-swell and become irritated. Make an appointment with the physician who performed your surgery so you can be evaluated. It's probably not nerve damage, but it's best just to be seen.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD