Could Taking Vitamin E Supplement Post-Op Mommy Makeover Affect the Results?

I had a Mommy Makeover two weeks ago, including Mini TT, BAM, and lipo of inner and outer thighs. My doctor recommends I start taking 1000 IU/day of Vitamin E. After reading a few articles on the Internet, it seems that taking this much Vitmain E can actually do more harm than good. I already take a daily vitamin, which contains 30mg of E. Will it affect my results if I forgo the extra 1000 IU?

Vitamin E after surgery

+2

Many of the other doctors have answered this question appropriately. There is no evidence that Vitamin E supplements can help with wound healing or scar maturation. At this point the best thing that will happen to you is nothing and the worst is an adverse reaction to the supplement (such as allergy). I recommend a normal healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables and a gradual return to full activity. Hope this helps,.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Vitamin E and MM

+1

Before surgery, high doses of vitamin E are known to cause a higher risk for bruising and bleeding.

After breast augmentation surgery, some surgeons use Vitamin E to help reduce the chance of developing a hard breast with capsular contracture.  But the scientific data on this is pretty sparse.  I wouldn't be very upset if you decided to skip it.  

Thomas Fiala, MD

Could Taking Vitamin E Supplement Post-Op Mommy Makeover Affect the Results

+1

Some surgeons feel that higher doses of Vitamin E will prevent scar tissue formation around a breast implant, but the evidence for it is not large though. I think as long as you do not take that amount long term, there should not be any adverse health effects or negative effects on the healing.

Julio Garcia, MD

Vitamin E and wound healing.

+1

After large surgical procedures (such as a mommy makeover), increased doses of Vitamin E can lead to bleeding issues. The data behind higher doses of Vitamin E for improved wound healing are not exactly compelling. I don't routinely advise it for any of my patients.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Need Vitamin E after Mommy Makeover?

+1

While Vitamin E should be avoided before surgery since it may cause more bleeding. The benefits of oral Vitamin E on wound healing are controversial and despite all recommendations of using topical Vitamin E on scars, there is a lack of good studies to support its use. It is very unlikely that taking Vitamin E will have any effect on the results of a mommy makeover.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Vitamin E two weeks post-op should not be a problem, but follow your surgeon's advice.

+1

I advise my patients to avoid "extra" Vitamin E 2 weeks before and after surgery as it is a fat-soluble vitamin that could competetitively inhibit absorption of Vitamin K (another fat-soluble vitamin), which is necessary for proper blood clotting. (Vitamin A and Vitamin D in excessive doses can do the same, as can overdoing it with Omega-3 oils, fish oils, etc.)

In general, one should consider taking a multivitamin prior to and after surgery, but avoiding excessive doses of "additional" vitamin supplements if your dietary intake is otherwise "normal and healthy." Exceptions to this are patients with specific vitamin deficiencies, malabsorption syndromes, or gastric bypass patients.

Your surgeon likely has a good reason for his/her advice; I would recommend following it, and if curious, ask the reasoning behind it. But 1000 IU per day is not excessive and taking it or not taking it will have essentially the same effect if all else is well. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+1

I also ask MY patients to refrain from vitamin E use. But if you are over 2 weeks than I guess no harm no foul. Best to discuss with your chosen surgeon. 

Vitamine E?

+1

I personally think you will be just fine with or without additional vitamin E.  Since your surgeon is recommending it, out of respect,  discuss your concerns with him/her ( and tried to understand the reasons  for his/her recommendation).

Vitamin E after surgery

+1

I ask my patients to avoid vitamin E for two weeks before and two weeks after surgery as it may inhibit blood clotting and cause difficulties during and after surgery. Now that you are two weeks out your daily vitamin should be adequate, but you should discuss your concerns with your doctor.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD