Post-op Use of Vitamin E?

Although some people recommend Vitamin E to possibly prevent capsular contracture, I have read that Vitamin E is a blood thinner. At what point after surgery is it safe to take Vitamin E (for CC concerns) if you may be susceptible to post-op bleeding? I am currently 10 days post-op. I bled more than usual during my BA, so came home with a drain in one breast.

Vitamin E for Capsular Contracture and Scars

+1

Vitamin E has been shown to increase the formation of cysts when applied topically but little else.  I would not expect this to combat capsular contracture or improve scars.  Kenneth Hughes, MD, HughesPlasticSurgery, Los Angeles, CA

Safe use of vitamin-E and post operative aftercare

+1

Vitamin E doesn't effect the coagulation systems and does not cause excessive bleeding. Some anecdotal evidence has shown that bleeding may occur in patients given high doses of intravenous synthetic vitamin E.

Regardless, I would limit any medications not prescribed by your surgeon in the immediate 2 weeks following surgery.  As for prevention of capsular contractors, there is only weak scientific evidence of oral Vitamin E impacting capsular formation.

Any use of oral/herbal/natural or other medications whether over the counter or by prescription should be discussed with your physician prior to surgery, to avoid any unnecessary adverse events.

Web reference: http://www.vicpark.com

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Vitamin E and breast implants.

+1

Thanks for your post. I feel Vitamin E is important after surgery and patients start using it 14 days after the operation. It is best to ask your surgeon their opinion and whether they recommended. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Vitamin E for scars? #breastimplants

+1

We make such a big deal out of Vitamin E thinning the blood and to be honest there is little to no data to support it. You are mostly out of the danger period, however I have seen reported hematoma 2-3 weeks out so take it easy. Vitamin E will not hurt you at all, BUT follow YOUR surgeons opinions on this. I am an evidenced based surgeon and lots of the stuff we tell patients are just old habits passed down by our mentors. There is even some new data that shows us that Ibuprofen and other medications do not increase bleeding risk at all.

There is no real solid data to prove Vitamin E is beneficial for scars or capsular contracture.

+1

Unfortunately, although Vitamin E has long been regarded as beneficial for scars and healing, there is no good information to support this. Massage of scars and implants can improve and soften the scars and make sure the implants stay soft and move within the implant pocket, but likely in and of themselves do not prevent cases of severe contracture. I definitely favor a less-is-more approach when it comes to what patients put into their bodies after surgery. Good nutrition, staying hydrated and plenty of rest are the foundation of a good recovery.

Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Viamin E

+1

I do not think there is any significant benefit to vit e by itself for capsular contracture prevention. It is an oil and the massage of the oil into the scars is helpful to soften the scars with healing.

Post-op Use of Vitamin E?

+1

Most hematomas occur during the first few days. Some level of risk persists for about a month, but you should be OK to begin at 10 days. Do check with your own surgeon though.

Thanks and best wishes.