Post Op Tummy Tuck Hernia Repair?

I had an umbilical hernia repaired 3.5 years ago and now am pregnant. My belly gets very large with my pregnancies. I am 5'8" and weigh 125 when not pregnant. I have excess muscle laxity around my waist when not pregnant. 1) I want a tummy tuck. How long do I have to wait after breastfeeding before I can have the procedure? 2) If my mesh tears, is it best to wait until I have the TT to repair it again or can I have the hernia repaired and then come in at a later time for the tummy tuck?

Umbilical hernia repair during a Tummy Tuck

Hi Manda

Good luck with your pregnancy!

Repairing an umbilical hernia is part of a full abdominoplasty, as certified Plastic Surgeons will stitch the abdominal muscles back together as part of the procedure. There is no need to have this performed as an additional or earlier procedure.

The mesh is unlikely to tear during your pregnancy as your abdominal muscles will loosen off to provide the room for your baby to grow.

Generally, it takes about 6 months after any life changing event (pregnancy or bariatric surgery for instance) for the body to stabilise. Leaping into a body contouring operation too early may lead to results that change on you and your surgeon. So ideally, you should wait 6 months after you finish breast feeding and use that time to really work hard to get to your pre-pregnancy weight, as this will provide you with the best base for a good long term result.