I'm officially 12 days post op BA my right side is so swollen, my surgeon states this is normal but, my left is not as swollen?

I feel looks different than my right breast completely. Also, my dr has me wearing a band to push down the implants, I feel like something went wrong.My surgeon tells me , time & patience.I don't know if I'm worrying my self to death or not? I read on this web site from some doctors, that if they don't look good right away, then they won't look good at all? Help!

Implant asymmetry

+2

I would recommend going bra-less and wearing an elastic band over the top of the breast. Perform manual massage downward three times a day, and ask if your surgeon thinks a muscle relaxant would be beneficial. You are still very early and the vast majority of the time, these high riding implants will drop.

Asymmetry after breast augmentation may require revision surgery.

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. Your right side looks good; your left side looks like the implant is sitting too high. I agree with Dr. Flint in performing massage on the left and wearing a wrap (like an Ace wrap) above the left breast and below the right breast. If it does not come down in a few months, you may require a revision surgery to bring the left implant down.

Web reference: http://www.jmcmahanmd.com/breast-augmentation/index.html

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Swelling.

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

There are many possible reasons for why the left breast appears different than the right. Fluid collections (seromas/hematomas), contraction and retraction of the pectoralis muscle, and implant location (one being higher than the other) can all account for the appearance of your breasts as they are. You need to keep close tabs with your PS so that he/she can evaluate you. If you don't trust what he/she is saying, I would recommend you consult another physician, but reassurance can not be given over the internet without an examination.

Best of luck to you.

Still early in your post breast aug course

+1

your surgeon seems to be providing good advice. good chance things will settle down and you'll have better appearance/symmetry. It is too early to say you won't turn out nicely, since often  a situation like this will take care of itself in time.

Web reference: http://www.drbarach.com

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after surgery

+1

Hello. I see your concerns. It appears that the left implant is sitting a bit higher than the right. I agree with your surgeon, massage and a band will help. A hematoma is possible but not very likely based on your pictures.

12 days post op BA my right side is so swollen

+1

I am not sure I am seeing swelling, but rather a high riding implant caused by compression by the pectoral muscles. With tightness of the muscle the implant is compressed. The bottom of the pocket, at the breast fold is a fixed point, and the implant can't usually go any lower. The upper part of the pocket is a large empty space under the muscle that reaches up to the collar bone. Compression by the muscle doesn't move the implant, but does displace the fluid (gel or saline) upward. It can take 3 months, sometimes longer. Usually, but not always, it is the handed side that is slower to settle.

I can say that I have seen patients with a nice outcome at 6 months who looked this different early on. Patience. 

+1

Hi Jessh13.  Looks like from your photo that the Left is the one that appears to be fuller and higher.  Keep in mind that you are not even two weeks post op.  Make sure that you are doing your implant massages!  These massages will help keep the implant pocket loose, the implant mobile in the pocket and lower your chances of capsules (scar tissue forming around the implants).  The band should help push the implants down.  You should start seeing a difference aesthetically within the 4-6 week post op range.  I think it is way too early to get worried.  Your doctor is correct, time and patience.  If for some reason after your 6-8 week mark and they have not settled down, then I would consult back with your surgeon.  

Jackson Plastic Surgeon