Post Op Swelling for Bulbous Tip

Its been 3 wks since tip reduction, osteotomy and dns correction. i feel that the tip is still swollen and as big as the previous one. could you please tell me if i can really expect a difference in 3 months at least. from what i was told most of the swelling would come down by 3 weeks.

You need to wait longer

+3

I tell all of my patients that it will take at least 1 year to see that most of the swelling in the nasal tip to go away. By 3-4 months about 80% will have gone down. It also depends on the patient and the thickness of the skin. I would tell you that all of my patients have almost no change in their nasal tip at 3 weeks, unless they had a dramatically enlarged tip. Just imagine that the skin overlying the tip has been stretched out for your entire life, its going to take more then 3 weeks for it to shrink down to the new underlying structure. 

Post-op Nasal Tip Swelling

+2

Your tip is swollen and normal. You will see significant improvement over the next 3 months, but the final result will take at least 1 year.

Nasal tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

The tip remains swollen for many months after surgery.  I would expect a small reduction in swelling by 6 weeks, but it will really take a full year for you to see the entire result from surgery.  Some surgeons like to inject a steroid to assist in reducing the swelling, but this is very surgeon-dependent.  If you are concerned about the amount of swelling, I suggest speaking with your surgeon.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Tip swelling takes the longest after rhinoplasty

+2

For patients, swelling in the tip after rhinoplasty can be frustrating, though this is the area where the swelling and stiffness will take the longest to resolve. The tip will thin and visibly change up to 12 months after the procedure. Even surgeons dislike waiting this out, though if not respected the 'final' result can pinch and deform if there is not enough support remaining. Perhaps your surgeon was talking about swelling in a general way. Be patient and good results should come.

peterejohnsonmd

Nasal Tip Swollen after Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty swelling occurs both on the outside and inside of the nose. It is normal to feel congested and have nasal obstruction and postnasal drip immediately after rhinoplasty surgery. Patients are generally "restaurant ready" and socially acceptable within 2 weeks. Most swelling after rhinoplasty resolves within a month. The final 20% of swelling takes a much longer time to resolve, up to a year or longer after surgery. Fortunately, this final swelling is usually only evident to the surgeon and patient.

Rhinoplasty swelling varies greatly and is largely based on the areas of the nose treated, surgical approach to the nose (open or closed/endonasal), skin thickness, postoperative care, and your healing ability. The more extensive the surgery, the more you will swell and the longer the swelling will last. The tip of the nose holds onto swelling longer than the other parts of the nose. Open rhinoplasty, where there is an external incision at the base of the nose, swells more and longer than closed/endonasal rhinoplasty. Patients with thicker skin will also have more swelling.

Keeping your head elevated, maintaining the nasal splint/cast, ice, arnica montana, and following your plastic surgeon's guideline may help reduce rhinoplasty swelling. Persistant swelling may also be reduced by steroid treatment into the nose. Don't hesitate to speak to your plastic surgeon about any swelling.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

It will improve...

+1

Give it more time to reduce in size. The nose is unique in plastic surgery requiring all of 1 year to get rid of the expected swelling. We use a medical ultrasound device weekly in the first 6 weeks to speed this process along for our Rhinoplasty patients.

Dr. G

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

Hi,

As you have probably heard many times, 3 weeks is too soon to judge your rhinoplasty results.  Especially the tip.  Be patient and you should see gradual improvement over the next few months.  Discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Post rhinoplasty swelling of a bulbous tip.

+1

It takes 6-12 months for the swelling of the tip to go away. Each month it will be slightly smaller. So what you see is normal.