Post Op I Am A B Cup Instead Of C Cup, Am I Eligible For A Re-Op?

I asked to be a full 32c - using the anatomical implants for a natural shape. I had 245cc in moderate profile put in. I now measure 32b. I used to wear 32c bras padded up and so now I FEEL a lot smaller. Really unhappy as this wasnt what I asked for and still have to wear lots of padding and chicken fillets. The whole point of the op was to have boobs i felt confident with and i really dont. What are the chances of a re-op do you think?

Breast Revision

+1

Wait a full year to have a surgery revision.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and understand that implant and bra size are variable.  You may fit some “B” bras and some “C” bras.  Go for the look which accents you, and not one that detracts from you.  Wait until 2-3 months have passed and you are finished healing and the inflammation is gone.

Web reference: http://www.facebook.com/elitemdspa

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and cup sizes

+1

With a properly fitted and positioned (subpectoral), round breast implant, an anatomic shaped implant is not needed to look natural. The expected size increase from preop size with round implants is between one and two cup sizes (lowest profile, medium profile, and highest profile). Actual size/volume of a breast before and after surgery is not reliably measured and bra cup sizes are notoriously variable and inaccurate. The best we can do is say what size you look like before surgery (for your chest circumference) and what size you look like after surgery, not what you wear. 

At this point, the tissues have adjusted to the presence of the first implant and it can be changed from a medium to a high profile (same width) and go up about a cup size. Usually the base width can be expanded about 1 1/2 cm which also increases the cup size by about a half cup. Or both can be done for about a full cup size increase. This is best done through an inframammary crease incision regardless of how the original approach. This is not straightforward for anatomic shaped implants and/or subglandular implants. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Post augmentation cup size

+1

HI,

I agree with the other answers. You appear to have a nice and natural result, and I commend your surgeon. That does not mean, however, that you can't go larger. Typically a cup size is increased by one level for every 150-175 cc of implant volume, but bra manufactureres do not standardize their cup sizes and if you shop around you may well find some "c" cups that fit you well. My recommendation is to talk to your surgeon and then wait for several months to allow the implants to soften and settle into their pocket. Getting new and larger implants ultimately should not be a problem if that is what you choose.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

There Are No Standard Cup Sizes

+1

There is no standardization of bra cup sizes and, in fact, there is a great deal of variation among different manufacurers.  For that reason I do not discuss cup sizes with patients, but rather have them "try on" different implants to see the volume change with which they are happy.  Your photos do not appear to show a 32B cup size and look more like a 32C to me.

Breast implant sizing

+1

It is important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Cup size

+1

Achieving the exact cup size that you want can be a difficult problem.  Especially since even bra manufacturers are different.  I have had patients wearing a C cup bra that fits them well walk in to Victoria's Secret and get measured as a DD.  I try to look at a lot of pictures with patients to try to determine what look they are wanting.  Then I use a temporary sizer in the operating room to determine what implant to use.  Trying on implants before surgery does not usually work well either in most patients as the look is different than when the implant is in the pocket.  In my practice if I think I achieved the result we discussed and will redo the surgery but have the patient pay the surgical expenses, nothing for me.  If I agree that the size is off then I will redo it with no expense to the patient at all.

Gary Hall,MD

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Want to be bigger after breast augmentation?

+1

Using the national data, the most common reason to have a reoperation after breast augmentation is "to be bigger."  This is unfortunate and I think this is a direct result of a lack of communication (or understanding of the communication) between doctor and patient.  Your doctor shoudl take adequate time with you before surgery to determine what size you want to be and what your expectations are.  You should have implants to try on and see what you think about the size. Your doctor may even let you take the implants home for a few days so that you can "test drive" them.  These techniques are much better than any computer imaging.  Bringing photographs is important also because I have had patients who say they just want "a little fuller, but natural" but they show me a picture of Pamela Anderson! Clearly, they desire a large augmented look, and would be unhappy with a modest implant.  If you are unhappy with your implant size, you can certainly have the implant exchanged to a bigger size, ,but the key is to try to get it right the first time.

Impossible to guarantee a bra size

+1

It is not possible for any plastic surgeon to guarantee you a specific bra size.  Breast implants come in varying sizes measured in cc's.  275 cc's may make one person into a B or C bra, and another into a D bra.  It all depends on the height, weight, body shape, and original breast size.  If you are not happy with your present size, you should be able to have the present implants removed and a different size implant put back in.  That is frequently done.

Reop?

+1

I'm not sure of the discussions you had with your surgeon.  You are always able to have further surgery to change your result a bit.  It's difficult to understand how you could feel smaller now after your surgery- if your surgeon inserted 245cc implants then, by definition, you must be at least 245cc larger!  However if you are unhappy...for any reason...you should discuss this with your surgeon. Good Luck!  Scott Newman, MD FACS

Web reference: http://www.psurgery.com/cosmetic-surgery-galleries/

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.