Feeling Tightness in One Breast 1 Day Post Op. Flexing My Muscle Makes It Feel Better, Is This Ok?

i had my breast augmentation done today and my right side feels tighter then my left.sometimes i tend to squeeze my pectoral muscle and it actually feels good, is it safe? what i mean by squeeze is i tighten it and then realize and it actually feels good,is it ok to do this??

Muscle tightness after breast augmentation

+2

Because your breast implants are under your pectoralis muscle, the muscle is being stretched by the implant.  Often the muscles will tighten acting almost as if they are trying to go back to their original shape and position.  This often causes discomfort and even pain in some women.  Gently stretching the muscles can help relieve the tightness and discomfort.  If the tightness is persistent, then a muscle relaxant such as Valium may also be helpful.

You asked if your stretching was causing you harm and I would say, "No" if you are just performing gentle stretching.  I have my patients raise their arms above their head and touch their hands together every 30 minutes while they are awake starting the day of surgery.  They also bring their arms in front of their bodies and cross their arms touching their elbows together.  Many of them find relief from the tightness you describe by using these techniques.

If you have any questions about if something is a problem with your surgery or recovery, please call your plastic surgeon's office and speak with either you surgeon or their nursing staff.  Hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Muscle tightness

+1

It is the norm to feel tight along the muscles when the implants are placed submuscular. They will stretch a bit and the tightness should improve over time.

Postoperative augmentation tightness

+1
It is normal to have a tight feeling after breast augmentation. Flexing or tightening your pectoralis should not hurt your result as long as you are not pulling the implant upward for prolonged periods of time. After all you want the implants to settle/drop. You can check with your surgeon regarding taking a muscle relaxer to help with the tightness feeling.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon