What is to Be Expected from Sutures/stitches After Breast Lift with Augmentation??

Seems like orange-colored sutures came off my aerola. No redness, no infection in sight, but just a tiny little hole. Is this normal? What is to be expected the next few months after mastopexy with breast augmentation? How are the sutures done inside and outside? What are the types of stitches done? How to make the difference between the permanent ones? Please, doctors, I need answers, I'm quite curious about this.

Mastopexy and sutures

+4

These specific questions are surgeon dependent. You would have to ask your surgeon what types of sutures he used.  I use absorbable sutures for most things.  Occasionally with mastopexies that I do a circumareola lift only, I use an internal permanent suture, that the patient does not usually feel.  Almost all othere sutures are absrobable and the only thins uusally changes are the steri-strips( tape covering jthe incisions).

Most surgeons prefer absorbable sutures for augmentation and mastopexy, as

+3

this approach is much more convenient for our patients.  The length of time the suture lasts is dependent on which suture the surgeon has chosen, but usually it takes six to twelve weeks for the sutures to be gone.  During that time, and again, depending on the suture used, the suture can begin to erode thrtough the skin before it is completely absorbed, temporarily leaving a "tiny little hole" such as the one you are describing.  Most often, this does not create any long term problems, and can be treated in the meantime with bacitracin or another topical agent (though you should discuss this with the surgeon taking care of you before starting any new treatments).  Over the next few months the scars should fade and hopefully you will be very pleased with your result. 

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Stitches for breast lift and augmentation

+3

I use absorbable sutures for my breast lift and augmentation surgeries.  An advantage of the absorbables is that they do not leave stitch mark scars on the skin.  If some of your sutures are visible now, you should return to your surgeon for an evaluation and possible removal.

David Stoker, MD

What kind of sutures are used?

+3

There are many different variations in skin sutures used, but there are always dissolvable sutures placed under the skin to hold the deeper tissue together. It sounds like one of the deeper ones may have worked its way to the surface, which is not uncommon.  You may or may not see more of this happen.  Usually, permanent sutures (the ones that need to be removed if they are on the external surface of your skin) are black or blue in color. 

Michelle Spring, MD

Sutures with Breast Lift

+3

Breast lift incisions are closed differently by different surgeons.  In my practice I use almost all 'self-locking' sutures that are all under the skin so nothing needs to be removed.  Sometimes, depending on the type of lift done, I may use a deep permanent stitch (stays forever and is never removed.)  What you describe sounds like sutures under your skin that are 'spitting' through the skin temorarily leaving tiny openings.  These are sutures that should have disolved on their own but, if they 'poke through' then, in my practice, I'll remove them to lessen the risk of infection and scarring issues.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Stitches after mastopexy surgery

+3

Although it is very likely that what you're experiencing is a stitch coming to the surface (“spitting”) it may behoove you to see your surgeon for examination and advice. This is especially true since every surgeon uses different techniques and sutures. For example some surgeons will use dissolvable and some will use  permanent sutures.

Having said that, the tiny hole you are describing is often seen after a stitch comes to the surface. This area tends to heal within weeks.

Sutures after breast augmentation and lift

+2

I like to do a circumareolar lift any time it is appropriate.  There is one permanent purse string stitch (that is white) and can rarely extrude through the skin.  If this happens, it almost always has to be taken out and a new suture inserted.  Otherwise all of the sutures are absorbable and are under the skin so they can't be seen.  I suspect that if you have an orange suture that is visible it most likely is a permanent suture and will likely need to be removed and replaced.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Stitches And Breast Surgery

+1
Most surgeons use internal absorbing stitches when performing a breast lift.Depending on the type of stitch material used, they should be expected to dissolve anywhere from three weeks to six months.You should ask your surgeon what type of suture material he or she uses and how long the dissolving process might take.Sometimes, breast lifts are performed by only excising skin around the areola.When this type of procedure is performed it is common to use a permanent stitch that goes all the way around the areola.This type of stitch is not removed and it will not dissolve.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon