Post Op Gynecomastia - Is This Swelling After 11 Weeks Normal? (photo)

I had lipo and excision surgery. I am now 11 weeks into recovery and I need advice if my recovery in terms of healing and swelling is normal. My right side is bigger than the left. I am concerned about the small lump on the right side. Please view attached BEFORE & AFTER photos. Noticeably on the right side the liposuction scar is a soft tender feeling underneath the nipple. Is this normal? Is this swelling or will require potential needle aspiration? My surgeon advised me to massage. Thank you

Concerns after Gynecomastia Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Unfortunately, online consultants will not be able to help you with a diagnosis when it comes to swelling versus fluid accumulation. What is clear based on your pictures is that you did have a significant amount of “excess” skin preoperatively. Therefore, it may take several additional months before the skin “bounces back” completely. Likewise, the scars will take additional time to improve and feel and appearance.

I would suggest continued patience and continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Gynecomastia Asymmetry

+1

At this point in your recovery, I suspect there is very little swelling left.  Keep in mind that no one is perfectly symmetric and everyone has a little asymmetry and many times we are harder on ourselves than how others see us.  Your scars will heal and be less sensitive with time.  Follow your surgeon's post-operative instructions and try to have a little patience.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical Gynecomastia Surgery Result

+1

I suspect what you are looking at is close to the final result. Whatever swelling is still present is very minor and probably does not account for what you see. You have to realize that you had a very challenging degree of gynecomastia which, while getting substantial improvement with surgery, is virtually impossible to have a perfectly symmetric and completely satisfying result with one operation. Your risk of needing or wanting a touch-up is high with your type of gynecomastia. You need to allow final healing and then discuss with your surgeon when you are six months out from your initial surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Seroma after gynecomastia surgery seen with sonogram.

+1

Hi.

1)  You may have some fluid in your bigger side.  I would recommend a sonogram to make sure fluid does not need to be aspirated.

2)  If you don't have a seroma, then you have some asymmetry.  You will see the final result in four months.  At that time you may want to revise the larger side.

3)  Scars will look and feel better with time.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Post Op Gynecomastia - Is This Swelling After 11 Weeks Normal?

+1

Appears from the posted photo there is a difference in appearance. But ONLY IN PERSON evaluations can determine if additional surgery is needed.