Post Op Firmness in Upper Lip?

6/7 weeks post op since I had some remaining microcystic lymphatic malformation, neuroma, hypertophic salivary glands and some older scar tissue removed inside my upper lip. Still a portion the size of my thumb nail that protrudes outward which is still very firm/hard. Told to start massage after a month with Vaseline. Any suggestions to help flatten soften this quicker as it doesn't look very good and is uncomfortable: Silicone Gel/Sheets, Steroid Injections, Laser, etc..? Thank you.

Bulky mass on the upper lip or lower lip

+1

If you have residual scar tissue in the upper lip after your surgery, you may be a candidate for scar revision and debulking procedures. 

Postop scar management

+1

Hypertrophic surgical scar is common for upper lip due to combination of reaction of buried sutures, inflammation/swelling of subcutaneous tissue etc and can last few months and occasionally longer. Scar massage is key, firm circular massage 10x each time you do it, 3-4x/day. Combination of intralesional Kenalog injection and/or laser treatments can be helpful. GenesisPlus laser is helpful for hypertrophic scar and VBeam laser is effective to minimize redness though multiple treatments are often required.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Hardened lip after surgery

+1

6-7 weeks is early. The scar tends to soften over several months, but cortisone injections and massage may help.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon