Post-op Day Three of Rhinoplasty and Still Have Nasal Packing. Feel Pressure When Eating or Swallowing?

I had my rhinoseptoplasty 2 days ago and I still have my nasal packing in (I'm allowed to remove it tomorrow). My problem is that when I eat or swallow my ears "lock" and I feel pressure on my nose. Can the reason be the packing? I also feel like swallowing causes some bleeding, but I can't be sure that's the reason. Is bloody drainage normal on day three?

Feeling pressure following rhinoplasty when eating or swallowing

+1

In general, the typical side effects of rhinoplasty may include the following:

1) Mild pain
2) Congestion
3) Blood tinged discharge for 48-72 hours following surgery
4) Swelling
5) Numbness

The packing in your nose is affecting your eustation tube.  That is causing the feeling of your ear locking.  This will resolve over a few days after removing the packing.  If there is no air flowing through your nose, you will feel some pressure. It is not abnormal to have a blood tinged discharge on day three. If this persists past this point, I would recommend speaking with your surgeon. Swallowing will not cause the bleeding, but you may be feeling some of the discharge go backwards into your throat. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal packing ans ear fullness

+1

More than likely the nasal packing is not permitting you to "clear" your ears. Probably when the packing is removed this will get better.

Pressure sensation after rhinoplasty

+1

The pressure sensation that you are feeling is quite normal due to swelling of the inner lining of the nose and packing.  It is also normal to see some minor discharge.  These should resolve after removal of the packing and healing.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Packing after rhinoplasty

+1

Our inner ear actually drains into a little tube in the upper nasal area.  Recent surgery and packing are most likely blocking this pathway and causing your ears to feel pressure.  This should improve with time and removing the packing.  While bloody drainage is not uncommon I would recommend that you follow the directions your plastic surgeon gave and call if you have any questions or concerns.  At my Austin, Texas plastic surgery practice I would always rather spend a few minutes talking on the phone to a patient than have them worry all weekend!  Cheers Dr K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS