Traveling for Surgery - Can I Get Post-op Care from a Local Doctor?

Is It Possible to Get Post Op Care from Someone Other Than Surgical Dr if Surgery Done Away from Home?   

Postop care is a problem with medical tourism

+3

Please understand that there is no plastic surgeon who will want to take care of you if you go elsewhere for surgery.  They would not be paid properly, and they could be held responsible if the outcome fails because of being perceived as having mismanaged the follow-up.  If you go abroad, you are hanging out on a limb regarding follow-up.  Is this what you really want to do?

Local follow up after traveling for surgery

+2
If you want local follow up then find a local surgeon. We have the best training and talent in the world. If you go somewhere else to save money you may wind up spending twice as much to deal with the complications and have a worse result. Don't expect anyone in the US to touch you if you go elsewhere for surgery.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

+1

Traveling for Surgery - Can I Get Post-op Care from a Local Doctor?  Probably not.  Medical tourism is typically a choice made purely for cost reasons.  The fact is that if and when you have a complication abroad, your options for recourse are minimal.  Complications such as an infection and/or skin slough will require further surgery, surgery that you as a patient will have to pay for.

I was recently asked by a patient about traveling to Costa Rica for Plastic surgery. In addition to the potential problems discussed above, the vacation benefits of a tropical paradise during recovery from surgery are questionable.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon