Recommended Post-op Care After Mole Removal?

I had a mole shaved on my face about a week ago. I have since been using hydrogen peroxide + neosporin + band aid on it but it hasn't yet formed a scab. I was wondering if I was delaying healing by using hydrogen peroxide + neosporin and if it was recommended to not use these anymore? Also, are there any recommendations for scar preventions (Vit K/Vit.A/Scar creams or gels)? Thank you.

Wound Care After Mole Removal

+4

Except for the hydrogen peroxide, you are doing the right things. Peroxide is toxic to new cells, so current knowledge lets us know it is best to avoid.

It does not sound like an issue in your case, but Neosporin is causing allergic rashes in up to 30% of people now. It has been around so long and used so much, it may have outlived its usefulness.

Keeping wounds covered is part of the "new" way of caring for skin. It does not "need air to heal" as the old myth goes. It gets its oxygen from the blood supply, not the air.

Finally what to put on to reduce or prevent scarring? Studies show Aquaphor ointment or Vaseline works best!

I know advertisers promote all kinds of other "scar creams," but, unless there is a raised or abnormal healing response, nothing fancy is needed or even likely to help.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal postcare

+2

I do not recommend using hydrogen peroxide on the area.  At this point, use vaseline or aquaphor on the area just for a few days.  Also, make sure to minimize sun exposure to the area as it heals. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Post-op Care after Mole Removal

+2

There are several things you can do to speed up the healing process and minimize scarring. First clean the area with water, apply an antibiotic ointment to the area. Do not use neosporin or vitamin E. this could actually slow the healing process. After the ointment, apply a clean bandaid. There is a common misconception that a wound needs to "air out". This isn't true. Keeping ointment and fresh bandaids on the area will help it not form a scab and actually help the area not scar. The area should be completely healed in 4-10 days allowing you to discontinue treatment.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal aftercare

+2

Stop the hydrogen peroxide and neosporin. Use vaseline or aquaphor instead. Vit E oil is also OK. You can stop wearing a band aid at this point as well.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Post-Operative Care of Shave Excisions

+2

Below is a copy of the handout I give to all of my patients after a shave excision. Keeping the area protected will usually prevent a scab from forming which is advantageous.
• Removed the Band-Aid, if present, tomorrow morning and gently wash the area with soap and water twice a day.
• After washing, pat dry and apply Aquaphor Healing Ointment™, Vaseline™, or petroleum jelly.  These may be purchased over-the-counter at any drugstore.
• After today, a Band-Aid is optional.  The ointment will act as a protective covering.
• Continue to apply the ointment until the area has healed - usually one to two weeks.
• Shaving or using makeup can be resumed after the scab has come off.
• For the first few days the area can become quite red and inflamed which is normal.  

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Wound care after mole removal

+2
Several things on the care of the biopsy site: - hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, iodine can all slow down the healing process and should not be used. Washing once a day with a mild soap and some water is plenty to cleanse the wound. - after washing and gently drying the area, apply a small amount of antibiotic ointment and a bandaid until the spot heals. - we don't actually want a scab to form for ideal wound healing. The wound closes by the keratinocytes (skin surface cells) migrating from the cut edges towards the center of the wound. They that best when the wound is moist. If there is a scab, it stops or slows down the keratinocytes from coming together because they can't go under the scab.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Aftercare for mole removal

+1

Every scar will be different depending on the surgery and location of the mole. Our office employs different scar protocols; but most patients will start Melarase creams to prevent PIH.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Wound care post mole removal

+1

What we recommend at our practice is washing gently with soap and water so that the crust is completely removed which allows for better healing cosmetically.  I would not use hydrogen peroxide as it can be too harsh to the delicate healing tissue.  Dry gently then apply a bland ointment such as Vaseline (unfortunately Neosporin has an incredibly high allergy rate) followed by application of a small spot bandage.  If you don't like the way the scar looks there are many things that can be done to finesse it (lasers, injections, dermabrasion etc) but wait a few months before pursuing these options so you have healed first. 

Laurie Jacobson, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Post-op care for mole removal

+1
You are definitely using the right post-op protocol to care for your mole which has been removed.  There was a study that showed that it is important to keep the wound covered or moist with something such as Bacitracin to allow the body to heal itself by producing a thin film on the wound.  Vitamin K creams and scar creams are only necessary if weeks later there seem to be discoloration.

Michele S. Green, MD

Post care after healing

+1

You can follow our post care healing if you wish. I included a link. But I would stop the hydrogen peroxide and neosporin immediately and use vinegar and water dilutions as on our website. The only thing that really helps scarring is silicone gel from what I have researched based on a literature search on OVID for all scientific papers on scar healing. Below is a video to illustate our answer better. We have other informative videos and information on our website and a link is included to help you find us.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon