Post Breast Augmentation Surgery: Itching and Fluid

Hello, I am 17 days post op breast augmentation.My left breast is still
a little harder than the right. My PS performed a forful squeeze on my l breast 2 weeks following my breast aug. while performing the procedure, there was a small bleeding that came out. He prescribed me with accolate hoping to soften the breast. He mentioned this would prevent having CC. In the meantime my breast seems to be always itchy and I have some flaking around my breast. There was also a small fluid that came out around my areola as I was massaging it. I also have some redness around my areola. My question is, is this sign of low grade infection? My PS seems not too concerned when I mentioned that I was itchy and having a small fluid leak around the incision. Is this a cause of concern? Is the itching normal and the small peeling around the breast? Thank you so much for your time and looking forward to hear from you.

Numeorous questions/concerns following breast implant surgery

+1

These are quesitons that truly require a physical exam to answer with any degree of certainty. Otherwise it is all a guess.

Could you have an infection 17 days after breast implant surgery?

+1

Yes, you could very well have an infection at this point after your surgery.  The blood that came out of your breast when you had your closed capsulotomy (forceful squeezing of the breast) could be indicative of a hematoma.  The persistent firmness, new redness, and persistent drainage from the incision all could be signs of infection. I would be concerned about hematoma and/or infection.  I hope you go back to your surgeon and talk about these concerns.  Best wishes!

Carmen Kavali, MD

Fluid from breast implant incision 2 weeks after surgery

+1

Many of the symptoms you describe are normal after breast augmentation. However, the leakage of fluid and increasing redness do increase concern about an infection. With periareolar incisions, invariably the dissection goes through some of the ducts of the breast. These ducts contain bacteria and this may lead to a low-grade cellulitis or infection of the fat or breast gland around the incision. At 2 weeks, it is uncommon to be draining fluid from the incision. The flaky skin typically occurs after resolution of some swelling or irritation or the skin. Itchiness is very common after surgery and is considered a normal component of the healing process.

As for the firmness, it is unlikely to be capsular contracture. Simply put, the capsule has not developed sufficiently at two weeks. Most surgeons employ some technique to reduce capsule tightening such as massage.  I would recommend that you follow up for another exam and consultation with your plastic surgeon. Keep note of any changes in the breast such as swelling, redness, pain, and drainage (color, odor). All of these factors will help aid your surgeon in determining the cause of your issues.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Healing process after breast surgery

+1

Based on the information you provided, it is not uncommon for you to have assymetry at this point of your recovery. You are only about 2 weeks post-op surgery so expect the breasts to settle at different times. Although the surgery was done in the breast area, they are still two separate surgeries and will heal at their own pace. One may have more bruising or swelling than the other as well. Follow your plastic surgeon's post-op care directions and take it easy. The less you do the faster the breasts will heal. Massage the breasts to help them settle into the pocket and to prevent encapsulation. You are advised to also wear a surgical bra with a band for a full month to help implants settle as well. As for issues regarding itching, it is normal for the incision area to itch while healing. Drainage is normal as well, however, if you feel concerned, consult with your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. Signs of infection include fever, chills, abnormal swelling, and redness. Take care of yourself and good luck.

Drainage and itching 17 days after breast augmentation suggests a possible infection.

+1

I would be concerned about the asymmetric healing of your breasts.  Healing often is associated with unusualy sensations and peeling of the skin.  But you describe this as asymmetric and the drainage is of concern.  You should return to see your surgeon promptly.

Healing after a breast augmentation

+1

Breast augmentation is the most common cosmetic surgery in the United States because it provides a consistent way for a woman to change the shape, position and size of her breasts.

Patients after a breast augmentation commonly experience a small amount of itching at the site of their incision. They may also experience a sensation of fluid or bubbles within the breast immediately after surgery. However, if you continue to have fluid around your breast implant at three weeks after your surgery you should return to your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. They will want to assess used to determine that you are healing well and that you are not developing a more serious problem.

To learn more about breast augmentation, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Breast implant and post-op concerns

+1

Itchiness after surgery may be related to the healing process with dry flaky skin around the areas of healing. As for the fluid and irritation of your incision, I would speak to your surgeon to make sure that you do not have an infection.

Potentially serious complication after breast augmentation.

+1

Hi.  Just based on our description, you may have a hematoma and/or an infection in your left breast. I would recommend a sonogram of the breast, and any drainage should be cultured.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Many questions that should be directed to your surgeon

+1

Eva,

You have paid good money for your surgeon's expertise.  ALL of your concerns and questions should be directed to him/her.  Your descriptions do not sound out of the ordinary, but you need to contact your surgeon for a face to face exam.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

The diagnosis really depends on the physical exam

+1

Eva1, Some of the symptoms which you are describing could be a sign of an underlying infection, but could also be normal post operative healing. It really needs to be diagnosed clinically by your surgeon. If he / she has examined you and feels comfortable that you are probably okay (assuming that you are seeing a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon). If you develop fever or your breast have spreading redness, then you should be more concerned. Good luck with your recovery. I hope this was helpful. David Shafer, MD New York City

David Shafer, MD