Post Op - Bra's. Is it Okay to Wear Underwire Bras After 6 Weeks of Wearing Compression Bras?

I had my silicone breast implants done subfascially a couple weeks ago. I know now I need to be wearing my compression bra until 6 weeks post op. At that point is it ok to wear underwire bras? How about not wearing a bra at all? I've heard mixed things about both. Thanks!

Bra after surgery

+2

There is very little agreement about wearing a brassier after surgery.  Most doctors will have you in some sort of sports bra or compression bra right after surgery.  But for some patient a bra can potentially impede the migration of breast implant.  Other doctors don’t put a patient in a bra except for comfort.  I allow my patients to wear whatever type of bra that they are comfortable in after a month.  As long as it is not annoying or harming the surgical site.  Do not go out and spend much money on bras for the first three months or so.  This is because of the significant changes that your breast will undergo.

Good luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD FACS

Bra after Breast Implants

+1

Every surgeon has different advice and there is no consensus for bras after breast implant surgery. In most cases, I recommend a sports bra for 2 to 4 weeks after surgery and then any type of bra thereafter.  The compression and support from the sports bra after surgery is important to help keep the swelling down and the implant in place as you heal.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Bra Wear After Augmentation

+1

Advice differs from surgeon to surgeon. In general use of an under-wire bra is permitted for most after 6 weeks. I do recommend that a bra is used except for sleeping, bathing suits and special outfits to wear a bra to prevent the implant from migrating downward with time.

Always check with your Plastic Surgeon for specific advice

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS